Redneck Cure for a Redneck Mistake

Reaction score
I may get chastised for suggesting this, but I just must inform you of this. Please, allow me to present the history of the mistake first, then I will describe the cure. The cure is more controversial than the original mistake, so please don't give me a really bad time on this one. It works, so what else can I say?

I noticed several cases of RTV in the trash at work. A note attached stated that they were "expired", referring to the "use before date" code on the cartridges. Haw! I thought, they cannot be bad, maybe we cannot use this RTV for our manufactured products that we intend to sell to our customers, but the RTV should be OK for me to use for simple projects at home. So I knabbed these tubes of RTV out of the trash barrel (a whole case of them - 12 cartridges or tubes) and paid $2 for the whole lot. I didn't know what I was ever going to use them for, I just didn't like the idea of throwing them away merely because of the date code thing.

Well, it took me another two years to find a use for this RTV. I thought I would be saving money and getting a useful product. Well, I guess the expiration date was probably more valid than I expected. Of course, the stuff was even MORE expired by the time I tried to use it.

This RTV silicone sealant just would not cure. It remained as tacky and as sticky as it was when it was first pumped out of the tube, it just wouldn't set up and cure. Now, I needed to clean this crud off all my fittings and start over. How the heck am I going to get this sticky junk removed?

Well, I first tried 3M's general purpose, adhesive remover, then acetone. Both solvents worked OK with a LOT of elbow grease, but I ran out of both. I was eager to finish the cleanup, so I just tried what I had available to me. Gallons of Coleman lantern fuel for my fishing lanterns, sometimes referred to as white gas.

I placed the fittings in a small pan and added the Coleman fuel. The solvent action of the Coleman fuel darn near washed the bad RTV right off of the fittings. I merely had to use a rag to wipe it completely clean. It worked so much better than any other solvent that I had been using previously.

The mfg of Coleman Lantern Fuel states explicitly that their product is NOT to be used as a solvent (that is not the purpose of their product). So, I am NOT telling anyone to use this product in this manner.

Just wanted to inform you of what I observed. Use at your own risk for cleaning purposes and be very cautious because this fuel is highly flammable.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we all confessed as to what we use that is not intended for that use, the list would be huge! Since it worked, great for you.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, i learned two things... that RTV DOES in fact expire (I figured it would turn hard in the tube instead of getting too old to cure and remaining tacky) and that coleman fuel is a good stripper.

Anytime i need to strip something, I take a little of this to it
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=5aGqTradDYroggfV_q3aDw&ved=0CH8Q8gIwBA#

If its strong enough to take the skin off your finger... it should pretty much take care of anything, LOL

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Lol A woman I know is able to get stains out of anything, even bad stuff like chili grease. Her secret, dawn soap and lighter fluid, not exactly sure of the ratios but probably similar effects as you experienced. And after treating the stains with these would throw in the washer and then the dryer. No fires to date that I am aware of. :) So you know she didn't use too much lighter fluid (or the dryer never got hot enough to light it)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dawn soap is one heck of a grease wax etc cutter. If you are wanting to put a different wax on your car and get rid of the old wax first, wash your car with dawn, it takes the wax off.

Ask a Question