Redoing pond, help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond 15'x15'x4.5', well water, goldfish, 2 diy filters, about 50 goldfish, staying in a kids swimming pool, with a small pump right now. Last 2 years, not able to do alot to the pond, not even cleaning filters - due to illness. Finally, able to get some help, and the last 2 weekends, drained and cleaned the pond, was hard because high ground water was lifting the bottom. Getting water delivered today. I have a trickle tower that needs new media - any suggestions. Also, was looking at filters with uv, and being retired, am on a tight budget. Home depot has one rated for 1200 gals that could fit in the budget right now. I know it is small, but would it help with the green water that I am expecting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your best investment would be a bog filter.
If you don't have the physical capabilities, have someone help you, but it's not that hard to do.
It will most likely cost less than buying store bought filters and will work better.

You won't need to do any maintenance with a bog. No cleaning of filters or filter pads. Plus, your water will be crystal clear.
Perfect for us older people looking to do less work and actually enjoy our ponds.
It was the best thing I have done for my pond and for me.

You grow plants directly in the gravel of the bog, no pots or soil. The plants remove excess nutrients from the water and the gravel gives beneficial bacteria great surface area to thrive.
The bog will look like just another garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have thought about a bog, but unfortunately, the way my pond is set up, there is no way I can do it. Pond sides are about the outside ground with rocks on top, there is a gazebo on one side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I have thought about a bog, but unfortunately, the way my pond is set up, there is no way I can do it. Pond sides are about the outside ground with rocks on top, there is a gazebo on one side.
I'd suggest send a few pictures to the group; there are a lot of good problem solving members. There may be a way to add a bog filter IN your existing pond that will work well and look nice. The Home Depot 1200 gallon filter probably won't help enough. Where are you in the US, and is the pond in sun or shade?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trying to get a picture to post. Located in Central NY, pond is in full sun all day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A bog doesn't have to be located in one particular area. It can be any shape and can be made out of many different materials.

For example, it can be long and narrow along one side your pond.

Post some pictures.
Maybe we can figure something out.

I love my crystal clear water that my bog provides.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I even had what I called a satellite bog (going from the pond into my box turtle habitat). The two were separate entities, connected via PVC. Since it’s very much a gravity return, the bog part has to be higher than the pond, though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trying to get a picture to post. Located in Central NY, pond is in full sun all day.
Just click on attach files , select the photo on you phone, tab,etc it can be fussy ie size

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry...tried to find a picture of the pond, computer crashed, and lost all my pictures. Right now, it looks terrible...need to clean it up some, then will take a picture.

Ask a Question