Reduce numbers or not?

Reaction score
last spring/summer & fall we had babies. LOTS of babies. never had them before, but this time we set up a floating plan basked that apparently served as a breeding area. wow.

so now we have i'm guessing 30-40 additional fish. many are very small yet. an inch or so. the largest 10 are maybe 3-4 inches. many of them are black and can hardly be seen. in any case, we're trying to decide whether it's worth draining the pond so we can catch them or leaving them alone for a season or two.

Pond is 4500 gallons. Filters are 1) Easy Pro Large filter falls with Easy Pro 4500 gallon dedicated pump and 2) Aqua UV Ultima 2 4000 gallon with dedicated Sequence 4500 gallon pump and Aqua UV 57 watt UV light. One Hase oxygenator. Many lillies are only plants. No more floating breeding beds this year. Water quality remains high with pH 8ish, GH 5, KH 4, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates first low end yellow/orange (can't remember the amount but it always is this amount and i've never been able to get it to 0). Will continue to do weekly water checks and water changes as needed.

Normal fish load = 7 large 24 in Koi, 1 medium 15 in Koi, 3 small 12 in Koi, 3 Shebunkins, 5 regular 4-5 in goldfish.

i hate to drain off 3000-3500 gallons so i can catch the little ones. that is a lot of water. i do have a 100 gallon hospital tank with filter set up I can use to house them till i can sell/give them away.

what do you think?

Rick
Salem, Or

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While it still coldish, go out at night with a flashlight. I have heard it makes it easier to snatch the fish. I have not tried it.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Draining off 3000g of water to catch some minnows?

Wow......I'm a fisherman.......so........I prefer a minnow trap. Bait it up with some stale bread....toss it in.....wait.........

image.php

There are, of course, means that are a little less selective (and subtle):

Dynamite.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I took advantage of some pond work last fall that required my pond to be drained. I arranged for some 45 comets, shabunkin and others to be rehomed in a gold fish sanctuary....keeping only my five koi.....however my pond is only 1670 gallons.

I'd probably try the minnow trap or netting them by flashlight at night. You definitely want to keep your fish load down.

Ask a Question