Reintroducing myself

Reaction score
Hello all, it's been a while since I was active on this forum, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself. I recently moved from the home where we had built a small (300-400 gallon) pond with a bog in a corner of our yard. The bog was a dream and it kept the water clear and my fish healthy.

Last year we sold that house and moved to a lakefront house that has been undergoing extensive expansion and renovation to suit my wheelchair needs. We brought my 8 fish (5 large goldfish and 3 good sized koi), and have been housing them in a 300 gallon stock tank. They made it through the winter and are now anxious for me to build them a new home.

The house is nearing completion so now we are turning attention to the landscape, including a deck, pathways to the dock for me, container gardening area, and of course the koi pond.

I thought initially that I would have lots of room for all of the above, but I have recently learned what a septic field is, and I don't like it one bit. Well, only from the standpoint that it is limiting my buildable land for the deck and the pond. Complicating the situation are the water lines and gas lines and waste lines that run underground all over the place. So my dreams of having a large pond have been whittled down to the point that I'm wondering if I will get anything any bigger than what I had before. I hope at least that I will be able to make it deeper.

I have a spot that will be in our "entertaining" area, near the deck, outdoor kitchen and guest house. That is also where the septic field is. I'm starting to consider building above ground as well as below.

There is another area that is under several large oak trees, on the opposite side of the house. It's near the entry, but not so much of the action. The only underground challenges would be the tree roots, which would probably not be insignificant. No power there either.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back here again, and will be leaning on your collective knowledge very soon. First photo, our original pond. Second, probably location of the new pond.

Attachments

• 20210504_153151_resized.jpg
    20210504_153151_resized.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210530_183947_resized.jpg
    20210530_183947_resized.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back!

I don't know what the rules are in MI, but here in IL if you have septic you have to have at least 3/4 of an acre of land. How big is your property?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hello all, it's been a while since I was active on this forum, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself. I recently moved from the home where we had built a small (300-400 gallon) pond with a bog in a corner of our yard. The bog was a dream and it kept the water clear and my fish healthy.

Last year we sold that house and moved to a lakefront house that has been undergoing extensive expansion and renovation to suit my wheelchair needs. We brought my 8 fish (5 large goldfish and 3 good sized koi), and have been housing them in a 300 gallon stock tank. They made it through the winter and are now anxious for me to build them a new home.

The house is nearing completion so now we are turning attention to the landscape, including a deck, pathways to the dock for me, container gardening area, and of course the koi pond.

I thought initially that I would have lots of room for all of the above, but I have recently learned what a septic field is, and I don't like it one bit. Well, only from the standpoint that it is limiting my buildable land for the deck and the pond. Complicating the situation are the water lines and gas lines and waste lines that run underground all over the place. So my dreams of having a large pond have been whittled down to the point that I'm wondering if I will get anything any bigger than what I had before. I hope at least that I will be able to make it deeper.

I have a spot that will be in our "entertaining" area, near the deck, outdoor kitchen and guest house. That is also where the septic field is. I'm starting to consider building above ground as well as below.

There is another area that is under several large oak trees, on the opposite side of the house. It's near the entry, but not so much of the action. The only underground challenges would be the tree roots, which would probably not be insignificant. No power there either.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back here again, and will be leaning on your collective knowledge very soon. First photo, our original pond. Second, probably location of the new pond.
Welcome back koshki ...you have a wonderful spot for a new pond...and a lake view to boot!

Reaction score
Welcome back!

I don't know what the rules are in MI, but here in IL if you have septic you have to have at least 3/4 of an acre of land. How big is your property?
We've got about 0.6 of an acre, and the septic system is already here. It's just awkwardly designed with a couple of corners that jut into the area where I want to build.

Ask a Question