Reintroducing pond fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am new to fish & ponds (bought house 1 month ago & inherited pond) and have an issue I hope you can help with.

We have 4 ordinary goldfish, 3 ornamental goldfish, 4 koi & 2 ghost koi. I've done all pond care (plants, cleaning, testing etc) & all fish are great. But a week ago one if the ordinary goldfish starting to swim upside down or with tail in air bobbing on surface. Then she would be floating on top under reeds & only moved when I would go out.

She has lump on one side & is bumped by other fish, pond shop guy said prob swim bladder disease, but lump could either be bloating or roe. He suggested moving to quarantine tank (after prep) and using Medifin, salts & green peas.

I did this yesterday & from second I moved to tank she seems perfect, swimming happy, no floating, no buoyancy issues.

My question is....do I reintroduce her to pond (after aclimitisation) or do I assume something in pond was stressing her or causing her an issue?

I have bought huge tank & am happy to keep her in aquarium, but don't want to keep her from other fish, have no clue on right decision.

Apologies if I'm acting a bit 'emotional' about a fish, but feel very responsible for them after last owner just left them
:?

Thanks, Cath x

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awww... I think that's sweet that you're so willing to help. We all grow fond of our fish, so no judgement here!

My inclination would be to leave the fish where it's doing well. It does sound like a swim bladder issue, but then it gets better when you move the fish, so that's mysterious. It could be that the fish were spawning and she got beat up - it can be a rough process on the female fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Awww... I think that's sweet that you're so willing to help. We all grow fond of our fish, so no judgement here!

My inclination would be to leave the fish where it's doing well. It does sound like a swim bladder issue, but then it gets better when you move the fish, so that's mysterious. It could be that the fish were spawning and she got beat up - it can be a rough process on the female fish.

Thank you Lisak, I thought keeping her were she was happy best, but then worried I was doing the wrong thing separating her from the others.

She won't eat the peas or food, but maybe she's still stressed from floating in pond and being moved x

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Who knows if fish get lonely? I think we often put human emotions on animals - sometimes we're right, sometimes we miss the mark!

And yes, it may take her some time to settle into her new home before she starts eating. All that change can indeed be stressful for fish.

Ask a Question