Reinventing my pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply. The one is coarse and the second is fine, they are stacked in my makeshift pre filter. As they plug up, the water rises and by the end of the day the filters are totaly plugged and the water is bypassing over the top of them.

New pond filter.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
get some water crest stuff grows like a weed but easily removed . it grows so fast it will help big time with the algae issuec

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I will hit the pond/garden store this weekend and give it a try. Anything at this point.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Check for coarser black pre filter material when you at the pond store. there are a lot of gradients of filter material.
If you look at complete systems using skimmers they usually have debris type handling pumps pumping to something like a bio falls (or bog), but have a means upstream of the skimmer to deal with the algae and smaller particle waste you are seeing so that it doesn’t clog up the system and have to be cleaned every day. Some people may have also designed home made settlement tanks or maybe even large drum sand type filters to handle the waste.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Get your watercress from the grocery store - just buy a bundle (no roots necessary) and tuck the sprigs in wherever you want it to grow. Use a rock or some gravel to hold it in place until it gets started.

Here's mine growing in my bog and waterfall about three weeks ago. I pulled most of this out on this day, and then I pulled the same amount out again earlier this week. It grows like crazy. And this actually came back from last year - survived the winter and reappeared in spring. It's great to have in the pond when other plants haven't yet started to grow.

All the green you see around the bird bath stand is watercress:

IMG_1497.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for that tip, I'm sure it will be much cheaper than the pond store. I can add some to my stream as well which is a separate system and has no filter a bog is in its future as well.

Stream.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well done.. Looks.great. I love the big Boulder in the middle is that in the pond or ponds around it ??0

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks, its in the pond and 1/3rd of the water comes out the top of the bolder and the rest comes down the stream.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sweet did you drill it out your self

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No it had the drilled hole from blasting. It was a good score and I have had it for years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No it had the drilled hole from blasting. It was a good score and I have had it for years.
I know the feeling though on the project where I got most of my rock. it was from drilling and occasionally we used small test penitrations perforating the rock . didn't blast on this project my biggest is shoot small compared to your great repurpasing.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Surprisingly heavy. My Ford 3600 tractor wont move it. We had a guy with a mini excavator come to drop it into the pond.
Nope, had to get a big excavator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say that looked a heck of a lot bigger then a mini could move. but pictures can be decievinng. I Resorted to slings and all terrain articulating fork truck

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Summer was good for the pond. The new makeshift filter kept the water crystal clear but had to be cleaned every day and some times twice. A lot of work but nice to see the fish for a change and really there was not much else to do this summer.
We did get the new Jurassic pond dug in October and looking forward to building a bog at one end. We had hoped to dig it during the summer when there was little rain but as things worked out it was not till Oct and lots of rain so the excavator had a hard time keeping ahead of the water. Its about 60 feet long, 25 feet wide and 8-10 feet deep in the middle.
Jurassic pond digging 2020.jpg
Jurassic pond 2020.jpg

Ask a Question