Relocating a pond

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Has anyone had any success with relocating and pond? Including fish? Reusing the same liner?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have taken apart abandoned ponds and relocated the fish to new ponds and sold some of them and gave the liner I took out to some people I met that were putting in a new pond .I have also had my liner ripped by a neighbor and had to put my large fish in a big plastic tank I got from tractor supply until I put in the new liner .I still have a couple preformed ponds because of that .People get foreclosed on and abandon the ponds and they real estate agent called me after I met her when I bought another home that she had listed since she had seen pics of my pond and knew the house I bought had an abandoned pond .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I moved my whole pond that had been in one spot for a few yrs.......liner, plants, fish from one side of our walkway to the other side. Only sad thing was lost a few fish cuz they hid in the rocks around the top edge in the water and when I lowered the water level to remove the fish I didn't know those few were hidden and they were discovered way too late. All else is doing fine and it's been several yrs since. People do it all the time so if you have the chance go for it. I used some of my old pond water in the new pond so as not to shock the fish w/ starting over w/ new water. I think the more of the old water you can use the better. And if there is an active filter system that you are acquiring also try and get that hooked up and running soon so you don't lose the good bacteria otherwise it dies after awhile and may pollute the new pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have reused liner, just remove it carefully. Takes some work but it works

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh liner sorta makes a sucking noise as you remove it if it has been wet out ,but if it has been dry out it comes up a lot easier .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We have the chance to purchase a 18x22 x 3.5 with two waterfalls, all rocks, liner 2 6000 gph pumps, w skimmers, pond vacuum, 300 gal trough to move fish. All plants and pond owner will help with reassembly. He said he used 7 slabs of Arkansas flat rock and one pallet of round river rock. That is on the bottom. Pond has nearly 100 fish. Some large 9" koi and some. CrAppie and catfish. Also includes all of the water Lillie's and other plants. Basically everything needed.
All of this for $3,500.00. Sounds like a great price and its truly beautiful.
Big prib. We have to move it !!!

How do you do this and not kill the fish. We need too move it from Memphis to Jackson. It's about a two hour trip. Here are pics. Does Any one have any super idea for this. ????

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
ok I am very challenged when it comes to attaching something to a post. I will press on. I think I can do it.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.MOV
    3 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1756 (1).MOV
    5 MB · Views: 303

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond, pretty fish too. To do this you need to set up something to keep the fish in during your build. You will need some good filtration and water for those fish, they are nice sized and a lot of them. Others that have koi can tell you the minimum you can get away with during the move and build.

That is great the pond owner will help with the reassembly. Get your hole dug first, before you even begin the move, stating the obvious lol. Don't clean the liner at all, well you can rinse it with pond water to remove any collection of muck. But you want to keep the fine algae in good shape.

If you are on city water, have plenty of de chlor to treat the water as you fill the pond.

I would not put the river rock back in the bottom, leave it empty of rock, easier to keep clean. Seven pallets of rock is a lot of weight, either a lot of trips or a big rock moving truck.

The main issue you have is keeping the fish safe during the filling of the pond, getting the new water in the pond stable. You didn't mention the filters, it would be best if you can keep the media alive and in good shape.

A lot of work coming up, but it sure will look great when you are done.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My main concern is the fish and their well being. Our thoughts were to dig our hole, put in new liner, then move fish and lastly move rock, etc. We would keep the old liner for future projects. Although I would love to be able to use it initially just not sure how we would place the fish in temporary quarters and how to do that. My husband has access to a dump trailer for transporting rocks. I am concerned about placing rocks in the pond after fish are in it. I've read mixed thoughts on placing rocks on the bottom of the pond. I'm thinking it would require someone being in the pond to do this and with it being the middle of winter that would have to wait till spring. :razz:

It seems pretty overwhelming. LOL Owner says the filtration system is completely natural water fall filtration. I believe he referred to it as a clarifying pool. I'm not afraid of the work involved and actually look forward to that, its relocating the fish that worries me so. :goldfish:
I appreciate any feedback and learning from others.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With a new liner and new water, one of your concerns will be new pond syndrome. If you can put in a liner, the water and wait.........patiently for the water to cycle, then add just a few fish to get the water cycling some more, before you move the fish from the old pond into the new pond, the fish will be a lot better off.

If it does not cycle you might lose some fish as the pond goes through the cycles.

Here is some reading on new pond syndrome.

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/WaterQuality/SeasoningPond.htm

http://www.petsparade.co.uk/articles/?a=24

http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/pond-stocking.html

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a large plastic tank from tractor supply that I got and cut part of the top and made a bigger hole and pump pond water and some well water into it ,but first put the tank in the back of my truck and when i got them where they were going used a pump in the tank to provide oxygen and then added air pump and set up temp. filter until i could get them moved into pond ,but pond was already set up so did not have to wait .With my pond rebuild did the same thing but worked day and night to replace liner and get fish back in in 5 days .What I did was try to get the bigger ones in first because they stress more .Once I got enough water in the pond got them in but waited to do the rest until i got them in .Pond was the first thing water falls and filters where last .Only a foot of water in pond when I put my biggest 2 koi back in .Those are alot more fish than I dealt with .I would buy a new liner and get the pond in first to get fish in fast .I know it seems a waste but it would cut down your risk of fish lose .Use some of the pond water from the original pond and well water if you have well water .Thats all I can think of .Big tank to store them in is not cheap 300 or 400 dollars .I got a damaged one and got it dirt cheap .Damage was near the opening and cap was missing ,no big deal there .At least it is winter and a tiny bit easier summers a nightmare and even spring when they are getting ready to spawn .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe someone can tell you here how long you can safely keep them in a tank like that ,I just can't help there .Only one pond I took out was a liner pond others were preformed .I wish it was easier ,but there is always a risk when moving fish .Not sure it would even work for you and what you have to do .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a neat find and the guy will help you install it. Can't beat that! Lots of pretty fish and plants! Sure would be nice if you could bring some of the water from the old pond to help cycle the new pond. Would be great if you could somehow get the old liner out to use it now but that involves a lot of work now and yep you need a healthy environment to keep the fish til you get it all done. When I moved mine I used a new liner (noticed up in my post above I said I moved old liner............I mis-spoke) but used the old water but it was easy as they were not far apart to do the transfer. I used the old liner for the falls and still have big pieces I use for this, that and the other. If you don't mind the expense of the new liner and can somehow get the water cycled and you can take your time it sure would be a lot easier.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm still unsure if we will undertake this or not. Is it better to relocate the fish when the water temperature is lower or does it matter? I've heard that fish kind of "hibernate" when the water temp drops alot. I really don't want any of the fish to suffer or become a casualty of moving. Hubby and I are still in the discussion mode and will actually view the entire pond this weekend.

Ask a Question