sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering after this really hot summer if most people are wondering about what kind of winter we will get and when and what do you think you will do first .I know this year I am going to surround my pond with mulch to help insulate it .I have the feeling it just may be a bad winter .I am trying to think far ahead this year and be prepared.

Attachments

• 12-26-2010 snow 019.JPG
    12-26-2010 snow 019.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 359
  • 12-26-2010 snow 029.JPG
    12-26-2010 snow 029.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 359

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No blazing hot summers here tho but I'm just going to keep my falls running and bubbles bubbling. No need for mulch here. We made it through -6F lows for a couple yrs so I think I'm ok.....................knock on water!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well last winter I felt safe but the winter before scared me into thinking that I am going to think way ahead and mulch around the retaining wall block .i have been reading about all those weather people who predict the forecast and there are a few saying bad winter again .So decided to heed on the side caution and be prepared .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
way tooooo early! lol, I will just pull our pump, stick in the aerator, done

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well you will have to think about it sooner or later and the thought may cool everyone down after all the heat we are having .Nice cool refreshing snow and it would melt it 2 seconds and then we have water and cooler temps .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
AWE..COME ON NOW SISSY.... lets leave winter where it is, in the past!!! the one coming up is far enough away where we shouldn't have to think about it yet!!...lol... why think about today, what you can put off until atleast october...lol and if its like last years here ..theres nothing much to think about anyways!!...lol

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Actually now is a good time to secure hoses in place, check for leaks, deal with any winter issues now, rather than trying to fix hoses when it's minus 40, been there, done that, and some times here it goes from summer to winter and you are left wondering what happened to fall...... winter IS always coming!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Actually thinking about winter gives you a feeling of being nice and cool and not roasting like we are .Yep I plan now also ,I always start thinking in July about things I need to do and make up my list when it is just to darn hot outside to do anything .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only thing that takes time for me is grooming the liles and netting the bottom of the pond, the rest takes minutes.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to rebuild my waterfall where i know the last leak is .I just put in a big piece of pond liner and weighed it down with rocks until it gets cooler and then take it totally apart .Not looking forward to that job .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't have a waterfall, I think it would be hard to winter a waterfall, when it's minis 45 outside, although I have often thought about one, maybe some day I wlll make one that I could use just for the summer months. My ponds are different, I created them to work like the creek, flowing from pool to pool, maximum circulation and airation, miminum splashing and evaporation for all season flow. I control the flow in the waterways, less in winter, more in summer. I use spitters in the summer and other unique ways to get water around, like this old piece of wood that I found years ago, it had a hole in it the right size for my hose, carries water from bottom pond to middle pond, now has moss growing on it.
(The second picture at the top of the picture you will see the same piece of wood with a ball spinning in the flow to enhance circulation and airation.)

Attachments

• IMAG3964.jpg
    IMAG3964.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 415
  • IMAG3932.jpg
    IMAG3932.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 385

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
BRRRRRR SHIVER ME TIMBERS OFF .I love your ball I bought some of those giant sized plastic Christmas ornaments for my pond ,25 cents for the roll of small and big ones after holiday sale

you can see me or my reflection

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We usually only see cold days in January here and christmas for 4 of the 9 years i have been down here it has been near 70 degrees .The really bad winter was 2010 and the most snow i have ever seen .

I usually only have to use my pvc bubbler but broke down and bought a heater just in case we ever get a bad winter again

Ask a Question