Remind me to practice what I preach with my pond water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Most years, I have the gorgeous, emerald colored algae on my pond rocks and/or string algae in the spring. The fish eat that and it is all pretty. I'm never too worried or hurried to have it disappear, which it always does. This year, I have brownish-green, thick looking water. I can see the algae bits in it. The fish are thriving. We have had many temperature swings in the last 6 months - way up in high 80s to 91 -- way down into the 30s and 40s. Back and forth. Lots of heavy rains, too. The oak trees dropped tons of tassels. Temps are falling again tonight with more rain. The plants are starting to grow, but they haven't really taken off yet, since the temps aren't staying really warm for extended periods.

If I were giving advice to myself, I would say just be patient. Once the temps warm up and stay that way, the plants will get growing and will shade the water. You will be able to see down into your pond again someday soon.

Right? I don't think anything crazy is going on. I have a skimmer and I keep it cleaned out. I don't have too much plant debris in there from the winter - I cut everything back. The pond isn't overstocked at all and my filtration is great. I think this must just be a seasonal thing, made worse by the ups and downs in temp and the big rains we had earlier in the spring.

Anyone want to remind me to just have patience?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thank you! I knew I could count on people on here. That water sure is ugly, though.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know! Both my ponds are a mess right now. String algae by the ton in one and the other has water so cloudy and green and a ton of small leaves and tassels and pods. Both ponds overstocked so not feeding till the water clears a little.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My water is looking pretty good right now but I know if I start feeding the fish the yuck will come and the filters will all start plugging up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One of my observations over the years has been that milder winters lead to a lot more algae in the pond in the early spring. Not scientific... just something I've noticed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For those with the pea soup ponds, remember, you can set up a algae filter. Line a milk crate or plastic laundry basket with quilt batting, pump water over that to catch the gunk. Rinse as needed.

Ask a Question