Remove pumps for winter?

Tam

Reaction score
This is the first year for our pond. Do we need to shut the pumps down and remove them for the winter? Our pond is 2 1/2 feet at it's deepest. We will be using a di-icer. We have two bio filters that run onto waterfalls. I have heard that keeping the pumps running brings the warm water from the bottom and makes the water too cold for the fish. Is this true? Is it possible for the pumps to freeze? We live in Colorado and it gets pretty cold in the winter. And if we do take the pumps out, do they have too stay wet to keep from drying the gaskets out? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Water doesn't need to be filtered in the winter months.I recommend using some type of pump to keep the water moving at all times .Really helps the fish get the oxgyen they need under the ice.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Water doesn't need to be filtered in the winter months.I recommend using some type of pump to keep the water moving at all times .Really helps the fish get the oxgyen they need under the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I keep my veggie and bio filter running all year. My pump for the trickle tower I leave in the pond, but not running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I keep my veggie and bio filter running all year. My pump for the trickle tower I leave in the pond, but not running.

PS3

Reaction score
it gets cold fast in Colorado as soon as u see the temp droping
take out all your pumps and filters out of the pond and get a air pump & put in a plastic case with holes and air stones and put it in the water so the fish have air and get a deicer they keep a hole so the gas's can leave the pond and not kill the fish,
and yes the pump can freeze and burn out

PS3

Reaction score
take out all your pumps and filters out of the pond and get a air pump & put in a plastic case with holes and air stones and put it in the water so the fish have air and get a deicer they keep a hole so the gas's can leave the pond and not kill the fish,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can wait til the first thin icing up to remove pumps. or if your pond doesnt freeze solid you could leave them on the bottom.alltho you may want to diconnect them and remove hoses. i store mine in a lidded bucket full of water to keep all rubber boots and seals wet so they dont dry out. but an aerator will usually be sufficient to keep a hole in the ice, for gas exchange.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can wait til the first thin icing up to remove pumps. or if your pond doesnt freeze solid you could leave them on the bottom.alltho you may want to diconnect them and remove hoses. i store mine in a lidded bucket full of water to keep all rubber boots and seals wet so they dont dry out. but an aerator will usually be sufficient to keep a hole in the ice, for gas exchange.

Reaction score
PS3 said:
It depends on where you live in Colorado. I keep my pumps and filter running until the end of October. Warm days and cold nights. Also depends on the year. Last year was exceptionally cold. I live in the south suburbs of Colorado Springs. Temps are 1 - 2 degrees warmer.

Reaction score
PS3 said:
It depends on where you live in Colorado. I keep my pumps and filter running until the end of October. Warm days and cold nights. Also depends on the year. Last year was exceptionally cold. I live in the south suburbs of Colorado Springs. Temps are 1 - 2 degrees warmer.

Reaction score
I live in the uk and this last winter we had was very cold, i kept my pumps running right through but i lifted them right up in the water my pond is 4ft deep and i left them about a foot from the surface, i don't have any water falls though, is there anyway you can keep the water turning around but turn off the waterfalls as i've heard they really can drop the water temperature

Reaction score
I live in the uk and this last winter we had was very cold, i kept my pumps running right through but i lifted them right up in the water my pond is 4ft deep and i left them about a foot from the surface, i don't have any water falls though, is there anyway you can keep the water turning around but turn off the waterfalls as i've heard they really can drop the water temperature

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could have a ball valve on the line to the water fall and just turn it off for the winter, stopping any water flow to it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could have a ball valve on the line to the water fall and just turn it off for the winter, stopping any water flow to it.

Ask a Question