Removed about 100 hyacinths from the pond..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I knew my hyacinths reproduced like wild fire this year but didnt realize how crazy it was. I must have threw out well over a hundred hyacinths. I started with 20 at the beginning of the season and I probably still have 100 in the pond. I scooped the hyacinths out with my skimmer and didnt realize how dirty the roots were. The roots werent even long because my Koi chomped most of all the roots down to an inch or 2. Now my pond is all murky from removing them due to the roots dripping the murk into the water...
I dont want to remove any more because they are good for the pond but they seem to bunch up around the water lillies..Do they starve them from light?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are your lilies growing OK? And just think - next year you know you only need one or two!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one time I did hyacinths, I ran a floating rope around them to keep them in one place.
The lilies need light to grow well and bloom.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They never grew well for me, I didn't have many fish then maybe not enough fish poo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They seem to be okay, but the pads began to brown a little bit on the edges

Well, lily pads naturally brown as they age - they will eventually rot completely (unless you cut them off) and sink to the bottom. Mine generally last 7-10 days or thereabouts, depending on weather, rain, etc. So I don't think the hyacinths are causing that necessarily. But you may want to separate them so the lilies can get sunlight or you may not have many blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I also use the mesh ring to contain my hyacinths, mostly because my koi will eat the roots, but also because they take over and completely cover the pond making my fish hard to see.

Interesting fact...the main method of reproduction is vegetatively, through stolons. A single plant under ideal conditions can produce 3,000 others in 50 days, and cover an area of 600 sq metres in a year.

from http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/water_hyacinth.htm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I also use the mesh ring to contain my hyacinths, mostly because my koi will eat the roots, but also because they take over and completely cover the pond making my fish hard to see.

Interesting fact...the main method of reproduction is vegetatively, through stolons. A single plant under ideal conditions can produce 3,000 others in 50 days, and cover an area of 600 sq metres in a year.

from http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/plants/water_hyacinth.htm

Wow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Noooooo! Send them to me next time!! The one nursery I have locally didn't get any in this year. I love them and am jealous. :X3::)
T, I'll see if I can send some your way. I have tons.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Of the handful I bought last year 2 survived the winter but have been super slow growers. I think next spring I'll try the miracle grow thing early in the season and thanks Nepen, I'd appreciate it!

Ask a Question