Renovating an old concrete pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just dug out an old concrete pond that had been filled in for several years, the structure seems to be sound but I thought that is might be best to render before coating with a product like G4. My question is should I paint on SBR or treat the old surface before rendering to help adhesion I have heard that using PVA to do this is not such a good idea as it degrades over time. Would love to hear any suggestions. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If it were mine I would use rapid set mortar mix. It has good adhesion, waterproof and doesn't shrink like Portland based cement products. First I would clean the surface and then trowel it on.

I don't know if the product is available across the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644522857490.gif
@Gable

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Our resident contractor builder motorcycle rider might have a good suggestion @GBBUDD

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you plan on adding any top coatings the first step is to make sure the surface is clean. Depending on the condition it is in and how it appears to be built. You can always see a quality job from a so so job . You may want to use a scarifier to rough up the surface and give the next product a better grip . Sika is a very knowledgeable with a product for every project here in the states. Most of your products that have a latex additive whether a wet mix or already in the product. Has great adhesion strength.
There are so many options today yesteryear it was only plaster that did the job today there are fiberglass coating, and even paints. It's hard saying what is best for you without seeing it . Talk to your local masonry supply house.

Ask a Question