Renovating garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
The previous owner had a garden pond and I'm working on removing the old liner since it was severely damaged and needs to be replaced. Its approx 16'x20'x3' and had a waterfall. I'm wanting to add a fountain and fish to it and for my 2 ducks to use. I'm thinking about using sodium bentonite clay for the liner, but I'm new to this and being OCD I want it to be clear as possible I'm worried about it being mucky.
Any pros and cons from using Sodium bentonite clay?
Any other advice?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
animated-welcome-image-0289.gif

You've come to the right place. There are so many knowledgeable and friendly folks here who will help and guide you through you pond renovation. My knowledge about sodium bentonite clay is nil, so I can't be of help in this area. Just wanted to say hi and welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Can you provide pictures of the current state of the pond?
You may need to adjust the slope of the pond walls, depending on the original design of the pond.
A bentonite lined pond will allow for a much greater ecosystem diversity, but you will probably still need supplemental filtration if you are going to be accommodating ducks.
What are your soil conditions? (composition)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I doubt you're going to get gin clear water in a clay lined pond, in fact since both koi and ducks like to root around in the mud for goodies to eat, it's likely to be far from clear.

Ask a Question