Repairing bad seal at check valve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think I've narrowed down my loss of water flow issues to a bad seal at my check valve. I dug it up and the angle of the fit looks extreme. Also, I can see a tiny trickle of water seep out of the fitting when I jostle things. It was primed and glued but perhaps not good enough.

Has anyone had any luck with applying a leak repair putty around around failed seals on their flex PVC plumbing? J.B. Weld seems to make a "water weld" putty that cures tight. I also see tape and wrap products out there.

The only tricks I have tried in the past with normal rigid PVC fittings is to cut the pipe and use a blowtorch to soften and discard the fitting or heat the cut pipe from the inside and hope to salvage the fitting but still have to rerun the pipe. I'm looking for repair solutions due to the cost of the check valve. The 3" spring/swing valve wasn't cheap at $69.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• checkvalve.jpg
    checkvalve.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Drain the pipe, cap or close off one end and put a shop vac on the other to create a vacuum within the pipe. Then put some primer on the joint and let it get sucked in and then the glue, keep adding the glue until it stops sucking in. Hopefully it does not draw enough glue in to get into the valve. I had a leak on a ball valve joint and had a hard time to get it sealed, ended up using a hot glue gun then I read about the above solution and wish I had done that.Thought is was a good idea to use the vacuum.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get some of the Amazing Goop, marine. I bought some for our boat, but been fighting a leak where we just put another pipe into our lotus tub.

I drained down the tub, wiped the tub down with a towel, to dry and clean, put the goop on the tub and around the pvc pipe, let it sit for 24 hours. I sealed on the inside of the tub. The leak is sealed. I could not get my fav pl roofing goop to work , just a bit too damp no matter how much I dried it and let it sit.

That stuff dries rock hard, meant for above or below water line fixes, salt and or fresh water. It will fix that leak without issue.

I used it years ago to seal the tank of a toilet up in pa, hard to remove toilet in a old trailer. The tank cracked in half, fixed it with amazing goop, still holding strong.

Ask a Question