Replace my skimmer with an intake bay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
So I currently have a 3500 gallon pond with a bog and skimmer box. I created this pond by myself and am very happy with the results. I am wondering if it is at all possible to replace the skimmer box with an intake bay. The main issue I see is the pond liner not being big enough to make this conversion. I'm assuming I would have to mend more liner to the existing to create enough space for an intake? Has anybody done this before? Tips tricks? Below is a picture I took of my pond on Thanksgiving.
winter.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good looking pond! And love the barn in the background. Where's the skimmer? Can you share a photo of its location?

Few thoughts:

1. If you're very happy with your pond, what is your motivation to modify it?

2. If you want to increase the foot print of the pond, yes, you will need to seam another piece of liner onto existing to create your intake bay.

3. If you don't want to seam, it may be possible to reshape the existing excavation and use some of the existing pond foot print to create an intake area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm always searching to improve something. It may be unnecessary but I do think that the intake bay would not only do a better job, but would also look more natural. This may be something I do within the next few years. I'm just gathering information. You can sort of see the black skimmer box on the far right side of the below picture. This was early summer.

IMG_3507.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm always searching to improve something. It may be unnecessary but I do think that the intake bay would not only do a better job, but would also look more natural. This may be something I do within the next few years. I'm just gathering information. You can sort of see the black skimmer box on the far right side of the below picture. This was early summer.

View attachment 144815
looks nice the way it is, to ME! Although, maybe get a fake rock to put over the skimmer box? Just a thought...

st.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you! I'm always looking for something to do haha. It's almost like I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it was to dig this pond with just me and a shovel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thank you! I'm always looking for something to do haha. It's almost like I forgot how much of a pain in the ass it was to dig this pond with just me and a shovel.
been there done that--TWICE! And you'll always remember the moment, just not the actual 'pain' of it all! Age will help you with that! And I hear you re tweaking; been there done that, too! I feel sorry for you folks with open air designs as there's ALWAYS more room to grow and tweak! Me? Not so much since it's enclosed. I just bought two Korean spice bushes so the wife will have that heavenly smell in the spring (we have ONE already but it's on the downwind side of the pond!) and for the life of me, just cannot figure out how to plant one new bush INSIDE the pondhouse so she gets that aura when sitting by the pond! Too many plantings placed/tweaked just so and now, it's a problem as I don't really want to remove what's there now! BUT! Doesn't mean I've given up yet!!

sA.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ScumFrog.........That is a delicious pond you have there, well worth the effort & design consideration applied. I like you 'hand-dug' the pond & various extensions over the years, but it's such a huge part of our lifestyle that I can't think of anything better to do in relaxation than think up even more ways of enhancing the 'aquascape' further into our garden ('yard' as you'd say). In fact, where you have the skimmer box now would be a perfect location for a bit of deep excavation, liner overlap and a 2 foot intake bay, often now referred to as a 'skimmer cove'. We're now deep into Autumn (Fall) but the Oak leaves are all harvested nicely by the intake bay, so ready for mulching into the shrub beds in Spring. Here's the view from our 'Torii' terrace :)
DSC_0328[1].JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0345.JPG
    DSC_0345.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0347.JPG
    DSC_0347.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_0295[1].JPG
Many thanks ScumFrog, that's a serious compliment from you Buddy :cool:
That pic shows the main body, which because that fenced side is quite shallow, is c1,000 gallons. The rest however brings it up to c£2,500 gallons. Top left is the intake bay, c700mm deep, the middle right being the 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' which is 1,000mm deep.

DSC_0299[1].JPG

That waterfall top centre emanates from a smaller 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' fed from an undergravel filter bed situated 600mm below the main rockface in the main pond body. There's also another 'Bottom Drain' in the new 'bay' below the red top lantern bottom left, which is set c600mm down & unfiltered, feeding into the 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' as a second line. Suffice to say, the water quality is 100% amazing, never ever needing filter flushing. It should look great once it's all 'rocked in' :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hello scumfrog_milloniare
I really like the way your pond was done with the bog flowing back over a waterfall to the pond. Are you happy with the way the bog filter works? Does it keep your pond clean and clear?? and does your pond stay in balance as far as Ph and ammonia etc..

I was showing my wife the pics you posted of your pond and she wanted to see more pics of it from different angles. I will be starting this pond build in spring 2022 and have been collecting parts for it as I go.

Dale

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 144861Many thanks ScumFrog, that's a serious compliment from you Buddy :cool:
That pic shows the main body, which because that fenced side is quite shallow, is c1,000 gallons. The rest however brings it up to c£2,500 gallons. Top left is the intake bay, c700mm deep, the middle right being the 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' which is 1,000mm deep.

View attachment 144862
That waterfall top centre emanates from a smaller 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' fed from an undergravel filter bed situated 600mm below the main rockface in the main pond body. There's also another 'Bottom Drain' in the new 'bay' below the red top lantern bottom left, which is set c600mm down & unfiltered, feeding into the 'Constructed Wetlands Upflow Filter' as a second line. Suffice to say, the water quality is 100% amazing, never ever needing filter flushing. It should look great once it's all 'rocked in' :)
What probably looks like untidy edges to most and not following the design idea i say when you do get it done it is going to look incredibly natural . Theres no perfect circles no straight edges. And if i may say i would create shallow areas in those spots with the liner separating the intake from the bog I have a similar area in my build that has pitcher plants in it they love there feet wet and water thats not moving fast but is constantly being replenished. The are also winter hardy and they give color almost all year. Nicely done @Bio Ponder love those maples hanging over the edges You have taken a city lot and made it very warm and inviting nice work ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@scumfrog_millionaire i would think about leaving the skimmer in place and putting the intake bay as show in the pic . reasons for this is Zero head pressure pump will push the water a couple feet and be dumping intot he bog let gravity work with out instead of electricaly pushing the water around the pond. the area in red make fairly shallow so it pulls the water in from the ponds surface much like the skimmer but then has a wider area where the debris that pulled in or fish can go for a swim
Screenshot_20211203-174510_Gallery[41589].jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello scumfrog_milloniare
I really like the way your pond was done with the bog flowing back over a waterfall to the pond. Are you happy with the way the bog filter works? Does it keep your pond clean and clear?? and does your pond stay in balance as far as Ph and ammonia etc..

I was showing my wife the pics you posted of your pond and she wanted to see more pics of it from different angles. I will be starting this pond build in spring 2022 and have been collecting parts for it as I go.

Dale
Sorry Dale, just saw your reply now. It was only my first year with the bog filter and my water was extremely clean and clear all year. Still had some string algae but the bog is still fairly new. As the plants grow, I'm sure some of the algae will be starved out.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3510.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg