Replacement pump and filter question

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have had a pond for around 11 years.
I built the pond with zero previous experience, and although I'm pleased with how the pond looks, I'm not so thrilled with the filtration system.
I set up the approximately 1500 gallon pond, with a 1600 GPH, in the pond pump. Before the water arrives at the filter (a gravity tetrapond bio-ball filter above the water fall), the water runs through a 36 watt UV light.
As a preface, I live at the beach, in the Los Angeles area, so the weather here is very mild. Not too many days where the temperature even gets to 80 degrees. The critters in the pond include only 5 koi, 3 of which are yearlings, another that's only around 8", and one that's 20".
I also have a painted turtle, and a young spotted turtle.
It's a rarity for the pond water to be clear. Twice a week, I remove at least a couple of inches of water to water all of my landscape. I have a bunch of papyrus, and other plants, in the water.
Not only would I like to see clearer water, I'd like to enjoy the pond with less time spent on maintenance.
I have been reading about pressurized filters, and that is the reason for this posting. I'm guessing that a pressurized filter will require an external pump. If that's the case, does anyone have any recommendations for a good filter, and a new pump? Ideally, I'd like to purchase the quietest pump available, or somehow I will need to shield it to keep the noise to a bare minimum.
The pond is in my front yard, which is my only yard, and it's not very large. The pump will be less than 30 feet from my patio door.
I've attached a few older photos of the pond. There's currently a large central island with many plants. Not too many in these pics.
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Latest pond pictures.jpg
    Latest pond pictures.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 380
  • garden pic 2.jpg
    garden pic 2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Pond stone work.jpg
    Pond stone work.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 360

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you start by doing some searches here. This subject has been covered dozens of times. Then ask your questions.

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Definitely quite a few prior discussions regarding pumps and filters. Hope to gain some insight that will help me in selecting some new equipment.
Scott

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a wave dragon pump for my arizona pond, it is very quiet, 1/3 hp. I tend to do bio filters, so don't know much about pressurized filters. A lot of the people here have built filters like drdave filter, and skippy filters. Check out the DIY part of the forum for info on them.

You may not need a pressurized filter to get good cleaning ability.

Ask a Question