Replacing pump in Savio setup

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased a new home with a Koi Pond 2 years ago and have been learning ever since. After installing the UV clarifier it has been relatively smooth.

Until today... This morning my pond pump started tripping the GFCI outlet outside. It will work for a few minutes after reset but then go out again. After researching it looks likely that my pump needs to be replaced. It looks to be PVC glued though so I'm stuck with how to safely change this pump without damaging anything else. I have attached pics to show the connection. Any thoughts or ideas from the experts would be appreciated
IMG_20191007_154149.jpg
IMG_20191007_154142.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked to see if the pump is possibly plugged somewhere? If you need to replace it, I would cut as close to that elbow on the top. Is the flex pvc pipe glued into the filter? Looks like the ground outside the filter is wet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I thought that a clog might be the case but I wouldn't know exactly how to check. The water is moving through and coming down the waterfall when it's plugged in before tripping the breaker so it doesn't seem clogged. If there is another way I can check I'm all ears, just not sure being that I can't really move the pump.

I figured the pvc needed to be cut so I will get as close to elbow of possible if I need to replace. I'm thinking of using a Dremel. Are there tools specifically designed for this or is there something you would recommend for the cut?

Regarding the ground being wet this is something I have noticed since moving in. At first I thought it was too much water in the pond but it always seems to be damp in that area where the pump connects. It doesn't get worse then that little spot so not sure how serious that is. Could this be a sign of a clog or a poor connection or both? Thanks for your input.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would use a hack saw to cut the flex pc. The wet area leads me to believe that where the pipe comes thru the filter wall is not sealed and water is leaking out. You can try plugging the pump into another outlet and see if you still have a problem before you cut the pipe. Problem may be outlet and not pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used a Saws-All (I think that's what it's called) to cut flex PVC. That stinks that they glued it in, but this is your chance to re-do it so the pump can be removed. Pond pumps should be easy to remove for several reasons - this being one of them. You could use a screw on connection or a slide on - the name of which also escapes me right now! Like stiff rubber... but no gluing necessary. Someone will help me out here!

The good news is it looks like you have some room to work in the filter box. As you mentioned, cut as close to the elbow as possible to leave yourself a good bit of flex PVC to work with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree with above advice :) We have the same Savio set up and use some type of connector ( quick connect, union ? ) with threads that we can unthread easily to remove the pump. I will take a picture and post later today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
MrsClem, I did connect the pump to an extension cord to test and it also tripped the breaker after about five minutes. This is why I'm assuming it's the pump going out. Thanks for the heads up on the leak, I will also look into that.

Lisak1, Ah yes, a reciprocating saw is a good idea as well, that will probably be what I use. Regarding the flex pvc still glued on after I cut at the elbow, is there an easy way to get the glued part to come off? Or am I just cutting and chiseling that as well to remove it? I'm guessing the idea is to remove all pvc for new connections right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with above advice :) We have the same Savio set up and use some type of connector ( quick connect, union ? ) with threads that we can unthread easily to remove the pump. I will take a picture and post later today.
Thank you! That would be super helpful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would make all new connections. PVC parts are cheap. We've spent many happy hours standing in the plumbing aisle of the local big box store contemplating our choices. Our store employees a retired plumber who is always extremely helpful with suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you this has all been really helpful! I will be back with results and or questions. Time to get started!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay done! Used hacksaw to cut at the elbow and chiseled off glued-on portion, hopefully not too damaged in the process. I have attached a pic of my pump. Anyone have experience with this brand and/or recommend a good replacement?

Also, how long can my Koi fish go without circulation? Do I have time to order online and save $$ or should I run down to the local pond guy and buy one right away?
IMG_20191008_152636.jpg
IMG_20191008_152144.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd ask the local guy to match (or at least come close) to what you can get a pump for online.

As for how long you can go without a pump - a lot depends on how big of a pond, how many fish, how big they are, how hot it is... Some people shut their ponds down all winter. Do you have an aerator running?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd ask the local guy to match (or at least come close) to what you can get a pump for online.

As for how long you can go without a pump - a lot depends on how big of a pond, how many fish, how big they are, how hot it is... Some people shut their ponds down all winter. Do you have an aerator running?
No aerator, I have three big Koi from what I'm measured it's roughly 700 gallons. I live in NM so it's cool in the evening, warm in the day this time of year. I'm going to get one locally so I can install ASAP. It has already been off a couple of days. Thanks again for your help

Ask a Question