replacing pump

Reaction score
i have a large pond and the pump needs replacing, it has a fountain and waterfall attachment, i have no idea how to get the pump into the centre of the pond (its around 2.5 ft deep) and to make sure its the right way up etc before attaching it to the power and running it! The pond is quite dirty, i have gotten much of the trash - old leaves etc out but its really muddy - previously this was taken care of by a man who didnt mind getting cold wet and dirty!!

any suggestions (other than emptying the pond!!) are welcome

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think with submersible pumps, if they are attached to pvc you have to wade to them. I have only used external pumps.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can get some of those rubber fishermen's boots that go up to your waste and just wade out there carefully but be careful cuz it's awful slippery and you might get dunked in the muck. Just feel lucky that it's only 2&1/2 ft deep :rolleyes:
Or maybe you should find a man who doesn't mind getting wet or dirty :cool:

Reaction score
i like the idea of those fishermans waders - do you think i need to stand the pump on bricks or something to keep it off the bottom - its full of mud and silt so im worried it will clog up the pump?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
katykitten said:
i like the idea of those fishermans waders - do you think i need to stand the pump on bricks or something to keep it off the bottom - its full of mud and silt so im worried it will clog up the pump?

A lot of people keep them off the bottom mainly so if something goes wrong you won't drain your pond dry and kill the fish.

Usually the pump is made to handle some junk.

Ask a Question