Replanting a water lily?

Reaction score
These are hardy lilies. They were from a big box store, drop and grow. They have outgrown the container. The tuber is actually coming out. I have been watching youtube videos and I have a question. For the "potting" soil, could I use red clay from my yard? Also, any other tips from somebody with experience would be appreciated!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If going back into your pond, I would use kitty litter , clay, you can use the soil you have, but make sure it can't float out of your container and contaminate your pond.

Mine are all in oil pans with kitty litter and doing great.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yard clay does not work well at all, to packed and the roots don't grow well if at all. If your looking to go cheap, good media that is beneficial, 100% pure clay Kitty litter would be my choice too. If you have fish that want to dig and stir it up put a 1' layer of pea gravel on top, attractive and it will keep the water from getting stirred up as bad.

Reaction score
Would you cut them to split the tubers? I have been reading that this needs done. These lilies are over 2 years old. If so, where would you cut them at?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never cut them, but have gotten ones that were cut. They are usually cut in a thick part of the tuber, with the eye, or small growing leafs left on. Some even have roots on them.

They say to do in march or april

From a lily site:

wash off old soil and roots not attached to the plant. Split the crown of the plant with a sharp knife to cut through the creamy white rhizome, saving the youngest parts of the clump, typically around the outside edge, for repotting.
Trim the long, coarse roots back to 4 to 5 inches.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just put them in peagravel..and some 1 - 1&1/2" stones on top..they can feed on the nurrients in the water...you can just put in the rocks with no peagravel and they'll do great! i do mine that way and haved for a few years..let your fish fertilize them....myself. i will never go back to soil, clay, kitty litter, ar any other media for planting my lillies....go to Meijers or Walmarts and get some $1.79 oil change pans to plant in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy, you are the one who puts your lilies in the pond weighted down w/ rocks. So it really works eh? I'm for easy and I'm leaning towards this idea :yikesu:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some in clay and some in just water, the ones in clay seem to be growing and blooming better. But the ones in just water are doing ok.

DSC01438.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is what mine are in, (no koi) I add a plant tab off and on, other than that just removed dead flowers and leaves.

When first planted last year, 1/4 cup or so of osmocote in the bottom then kitty litter clay. Some say the osmocote will green your water, not so in mine, also fish, tads, bugs seem fine with it. Even the trap door snails are doing ok.

They were babies fall of last year, so have not transplanted this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whoa, goldfish27 that thing is in dastardly distress. You can cut the tuber anywhere there is an eye bud where a pad will sprout from and repot all the pieces. I would just cut one in half and not cut in small pieces tho. Or you can plant the whole thing in a large oil pan as stated. You can do it now as that thing needs tending to.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lot bigger pot and use the whole plant, I would go with a oil pan too. Plant the root end a little deeper but still leave some of the rhizome about the planting media and it should come out to be a nice lily once it gets re-potted.

Ask a Question