Replanting Pickerel Rush

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Ok so i'm finishing up my pond and i got some Pickerel Rush from another pond at a bed and breakfast. i didn't realize how big they are and for some of them, their roots are the size of ginger! they were in soil on a plant shelf in a concrete pond previously. i'm wondering if i could put them in a plant basket w/ just pea gravel instead. i think the gravel in a basket would be thicker than the layer i have on my plant shelf and would help them stand up. what would u recommend?

pickerel.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine in a old black plant pot from home depot, kitty litter, on a shelf about 18 inches down. I did that to control their spread.

I just cut back the plants for the winter. Some are regrowing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gravel in a basket would work. Or you could use a few small (like softball sized) rocks in a circle and create a "planter". Fill the center with gravel and plant the pickerel. When the plants get rooted you can then move the rocks or leave them - whatever works.

I'd cut those down - leave about 6 or 8 inches of the stems. All the foliage is going to die back anyway and the plant doesn't need to be trying to push energy into the leaves at this point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, nice plants ! I planted pickerel rush this Spring, but it hasn't doe well....hoping it comes back strong next year. @addy1 , do you cut back plants to near the surface of the water and let the roots be? I have a lot of pent wort and water willow. Wondering if I should leave the green taro in the bog, they come back in our garden each year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i put pickerel rush in my moss bog and it did ok the first year but it didn't seem to come back the second year. Then when i was working on the dead pool i had to move alot of the moss bog and to my surprise there was some very thick roots that were growling along the bottom of the bog. i had no idea what it was and kept an eye out and low and behold it was pickeril rush. I believe it is picky about where it will grow if it doesn't have organics it doesn't seem to do well and even go dormant until it gets it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 , do you cut back plants to near the surface of the water and let the roots be?
Once everything starts to die back, I chop it off at the surface. The pickerel rush I cut back to water level, none in the bog. The bog sort of mushes up, when the plants die. I take a rake and rake it out after pulling anything out that just pulls out. I also use this time of year to do a purge of some of the growth, yank root and all and toss. The bog is still green it is slowly dying back. Sometime this month I will do a yank and toss. I need to yank 1/2 of the yellow flag, slow down its spread. No matter how much I pull the bog fills right back up with plants.

The iris I cut off dead then sort of ignore it.

The small ponds, fishless, I basically ignore. Leave the parrots feather etc alone, then in the spring cut back. I leave it for the frogs and critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've often thought the yellow flag was a "Federal" plant, because the roots reach out everywhere and seem to touch nearly everything...it is about time to hit it with the Ginsu knife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh goodness, pickerel rush, my sister had hers on a shelf, it jumped the pot, and eventually took over. She used a pick axe carefully, and wedged it out bit by bit. I brought home one piece with two leaves, and two tendril roots...I'm in SE PA, it was thriving before the frost hit. I like the way it looks, but I know what torture my sis went through.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pickerel rush grew over the sides of the pot last season so I want to divide and replant. Is it temperamental when dividing and repotting? Thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep mine in a few pots to control its spread.

Ask a Question