repotted lillies

Reaction score
Well my lillies were not doing as good as they were last year so I decided to repot them. When I pulled up the container they were in I found they had sprouted up in 4 different places and it was just one huge matt of roots. So I seperated them into 4 different plants cleaned the dirt off the roots and used pea gravel. I hope they take and start growing better now.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
That exactly what I had to do this spring and they are doing great. I still use Indiana gray clay and fertilizer pucks. One thing I changed this year is the pots. I'm using stainless steel buckets with stainless handles. This way I use my pointy garden hoe,hook the handle and I can lift them out fertilize and trim the dying leaves and set them back in the water.

Reaction score
I didn't know stainless steel would be ok to use in the pond. I have been looking for sturdy plastic pots. I read here that I could use oil drain pans but I have had no luck finding the ones everyone is talking about. Maybe, I can get someone to post a picture of one. please..............

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3qtkidz said:
I didn't know stainless steel would be ok to use in the pond. I have been looking for sturdy plastic pots. I read here that I could use oil drain pans but I have had no luck finding the ones everyone is talking about. Maybe, I can get someone to post a picture of one. please..............

The 3-5 gallon black plastic pots that come with plants are nice and sturdy, I will be using those for water plants. And have a lot of them, with all the planting I have done this year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3qtkidz said:
addy - from what I read - it is better to plant in pots with no holes.

I will be putting some landscape fabric over the holes, putting in pea gravel. Did that in my other pond and the lilies did great. so sticking with what works for me lol

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
3qtkidz said:

I think stainless steel would be fine. After all, thats what everything is made of in hospitals. The whole idea is it will never rust and the buckets have handles so you never have to get into the pond to move them. I stand along side of the pond, use my pointy garden hoe reach out into the water hook the handle with the hoe and I can pull it out of the water to fertilize, trim or move to a different location

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
It's the pointy hoe that would worry me. With my stellar luck, I'd slip pulling, and punch my liner, right at the bottom.

That said, I've had good luck with 7 gallon buckets. They have good molded handles, and I use plastic window screen for the holes, and fill with cat litter. My first lily always has 18-20 pads and a series of flowers this year, but plants seem to like me. Niether one of us talks much.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants tend to like me too, even though once i put them in the ground they are on their own!

I put in a plant shelf, so if I need to take care of a lily I will just walk into the pond, or reach it over the bog wall. Well once the pond is done lol

Reaction score
so , what do you think about repotting waterlilies now??? Think it would hurt anything? Mine are totally ougrowing their pots & there is just so much to do in the spring that I always put it off!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
farmgirl said:
so , what do you think about repotting waterlilies now??? Think it would hurt anything? Mine are totally ougrowing their pots & there is just so much to do in the spring that I always put it off!!

The net says spring is best, some sites say do when they are root bound. There is probably enough growing season left for them to resettle before the cold hits.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Plenty good right now. They won't do much top growth this season, but they'll root in well and take off in spring. Anyone with more lily experience please correct me, but most terrestrial perennials work that way.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
Plenty good right now. They won't do much top growth this season, but they'll root in well and take off in spring. Anyone with more lily experience please correct me, but most terrestrial perennials work that way.

I put in a bunch of grasses last year, bought at the end of season nursery sale, chopped them up into smaller bunches, all did great. Came back beautiful this year.

So your work is cut out for you farmgirl, have fun

Ask a Question