Repotting water lilies in pictures

Reaction score
Country
United States
I pulled the water lilies out of the pond to trim and repot them. All this mess came out of these two empty pans.
099A6DCB-3F0F-40E0-8473-BE51EE228F33.jpeg

Yanked off some growing ends with some roots, when I couldn’t get it to come apart I used a shovel to do some slicing. Here are the pieces ready for some kitty litter and jobes stakes.
2700AF58-770A-4DCE-96F6-37F1886025BE.jpeg
E678C940-4782-4148-8827-5AB90C1D3630.jpeg

Back into the pond.
113AB03F-BE93-4D88-845F-A32768284509.jpeg

Please advise if you have any tips or tricks for next time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a serrated knife to chop them apart, keep some good tips, toss or give away the rest.

Looks good, great job!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use a serrated knife to chop them apart, keep some good tips, toss or give away the rest.

Looks good, great job!
Thank you
Me + slippery hands/ knife =ER

I must admit I’ll be a little more comfortable with my job when I see them growing. Two years ago I potted up one tub with fancy expensive aquatic soil and they never really did anything, 4 to 6 pads and no flowers. Thought perhaps I forgot some salient information.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've used a shovel, a pickaxe, a hand trowel, and a Sawsall - whatever you need to do to get them into pieces is fine!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you

I must admit I’ll be a little more comfortable with my job when I see them growing. Two years ago I potted up one tub with fancy expensive aquatic soil and they never really did anything, 4 to 6 pads and no flowers. Thought perhaps I forgot some salient information.
Did you add osmocote? I toss about 1/ 4 cup under the kitty litter when I groom them. They then bloom all summer.

lol mine is old a bit dull with a large handle. Always cut down, always keep hands away, so far been cut free.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you add osmocote? I toss about 1/ 4 cup under the kitty litter when I groom them. They then bloom all summer.

lol mine is old a bit dull with a large handle. Always cut down, always keep hands away, so far been cut free.
I used 3 or 4 Jobes tomato steaks per pan. Last time I used osmacote.

Ida

Pond noob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
I pulled the water lilies out of the pond to trim and repot them. All this mess came out of these two empty pans.
View attachment 150035

Yanked off some growing ends with some roots, when I couldn’t get it to come apart I used a shovel to do some slicing. Here are the pieces ready for some kitty litter and jobes stakes.
View attachment 150036View attachment 150037
Back into the pond.
View attachment 150038

Please advise if you have any tips or tricks for next time.
Oh wow!! This looks awesome! I’d love your advice on my situation, if you don’t mind… please :)

I have a small pond and have a few lilies in normal, round pots (with open slits on the sides). This year I think I had only one flower from 5 pots (one risome in each). Last time I had a few more. It’s autumn now, so they’re all going dormant (doesn’t really reach below freezing here, but can go as low as 0 during winter).

I’ve never seen cat litter used like this before! Doesn’t it harm the fish? What would you recommend I do for next year… repot in different pots or just in different medium? It’s in a clay-based medium atm. And how do you usually fertilize without harming the fish?

Sorry for all my questions… I’m just a bit disappointed in my lilies this year and it’s amazing to see your approach :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow!! This looks awesome! I’d love your advice on my situation, if you don’t mind… please :)

I have a small pond and have a few lilies in normal, round pots (with open slits on the sides). This year I think I had only one flower from 5 pots (one risome in each). Last time I had a few more. It’s autumn now, so they’re all going dormant (doesn’t really reach below freezing here, but can go as low as 0 during winter).

I’ve never seen cat litter used like this before! Doesn’t it harm the fish? What would you recommend I do for next year… repot in different pots or just in different medium? It’s in a clay-based medium atm. And how do you usually fertilize without harming the fish?

Sorry for all my questions… I’m just a bit disappointed in my lilies this year and it’s amazing to see your approach :D
I can’t take credit for this method of dealing with water lilies and hope others chime in.
Kitty litter- used 100% clay litter with no fragrances or additives (somebody from your country might suggest the correct brand) and so doesn’t harm fish.

I used Jobe’s tomato steaks to fertilize. Others use other things such as Osmocote.

I use pans to plant in with no holes in the container as I have always read to do that. Also, the lip on the pan is handy to help lift the pan to repot.

Please don’t apologize about asking questions, we are here to share info! ;)

Ida

Pond noob
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
South Africa
I can’t take credit for this method of dealing with water lilies and hope others chime in.
Kitty litter- used 100% clay litter with no fragrances or additives (somebody from your country might suggest the correct brand) and so doesn’t harm fish.

I used Jobe’s tomato steaks to fertilize. Others use other things such as Osmocote.

I use pans to plant in with no holes in the container as I have always read to do that. Also, the lip on the pan is handy to help lift the pan to repot.

Please don’t apologize about asking questions, we are here to share info! ;)
Thanks so much for your kind response!! I’m going to do some more reading and researching on what you mentioned! It helps to have an idea of where to start :)

Using pans with no holes is super interesting especially! Thanks again :D

Ask a Question