addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My honey and I went out and picked up the fish. Beautiful house, neat pond built into the concrete of the front porch. Scalloped edges, beautiful fish.

DSC02196.jpg

It was approximately 45 minute drive to get them. My honey being pretty smart, took some wide pvc, drilled a few holes in the end of the pipe. As we drove home (water has had no o2 input except what they pumped in once) we had the pvc hanging out the windows pointed forward, air cranked down the pvc and bubbled in the water in the tubs. We wanted to stress them as little as possible.

The following are pictures of the fish we picked up.

One very fat gold fish,

Scales are not sticking out, so don't think dropsy, swimming around and appears healthy.

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

a few long fins, brilliant orange
DSC02203.jpg

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
then there were ones that had orange and white, long fins

DSC02207.jpg

DSC02206.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some basic looking gold fish

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02212.jpg

about three white ones, one large two smaller

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02225.jpg

Reaction score
Wow Addy~! Glad you were able to rescue them~! I like honey's idea with the PVC~! You must have been a site driving down the road :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Then the wow factor! These fish do not have barbells, I don't think they are koi, but they are around 18 inches in length with their fins

DSC02202.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02214.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had no real place to qt them, they looked healthy, no spots, no rot, so into the pond they went.

Their pond was a covered deck no sunlight or sky, they swam around then went and hid below the lilies.

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02238.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

Their new home

DSC02236.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some nice looking fish you got there addy

Thanks mogsie, I was almost wondering if those long fins, butterfly type were koi, but no barbells that I could see. They are all around 15-18 inches counting fins.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yippee the fish are saved and safe and sound in their new home! What a nice looking group of fish and some are huge. Wonder if they could be half koi and half goldies..........is their such a thing? I have seen goldfish that big tho so they are prolly goldies.
What a deal and so happy for them and you getting your pond filled w/ some beauties! They must be so happy in that big huge pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
One good thing, They appear to be Comets, But there is the possibility they are Koi comet hybrids, If they are they will be sterile, so they can't reproduce. and they won't get as large as a true koi. I've seen pics of coets that were very large and appeared to be far larger than those guys so i think they are just fancy sarassa comets.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes they are called butterfly comets i believe

Thanks mogsie, I did a search and didn't find anything yesterday, so was wondering. I just don't want koi even though they are beautiful. My garden pond set up would not work with them i.e. the plants.

Yippee the fish are saved and safe and sound in their new home! What a nice looking group of fish and some are huge. Wonder if they could be half koi and half goldies..........is their such a thing? I have seen goldfish that big tho so they are prolly goldies.
What a deal and so happy for them and you getting your pond filled w/ some beauties! They must be so happy in that big huge pond.

I was wondering the same jw, they are so beautiful, the white one started swimming with the herd right away, the red one is in hiding under the lilies. But all are doing good as of late evening yesterday.

One good thing, They appear to be Comets, But there is the possibility they are Koi comet hybrids, If they are they will be sterile, so they can't reproduce. and they won't get as large as a true koi. I've seen pics of coets that were very large and appeared to be far larger than those guys so i think they are just fancy sarassa comets.

One thing fishin, I was concerned about the fat one, no scales sticking out, I did searches on dropsie, I don't think it has that, my honey said he had some gf that looked like that. The water they were in was really foul, stunk to high heaven when we went to take the fish out and the muck got stirred up, bubbles floating to the surface, oil slick look. Would you mind looking at the picture closely let me know if I should be concerned.

Ask a Question