addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Moving some rocks today and one of the many many spiders we have came crawling out. I noticed these guys/gals at the beginning of the summer going around with egg sacs on their back.

This one came crawling out with babies on the back. Wolf spider, about 1.5 inches. They are great hunters, good to have in your back yard........ notice not in house lol.

Attachments

• DSC00501.JPG
    DSC00501.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC00503.jpg
    DSC00503.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 309

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These guys don't do webs, they hunt.

Those are rocks that are about 1-3 inches in size. River pebbles I think they call them. We had the wolf spiders in arizona also, they seemed a little bigger there. There are a ton of babies on its back, all the little legs wiggling.

I stopped moving the pebbles until they got to a safe spot.

Every rock i pick up seems to have a daddy long legs on it. From real tiny to big!
Not a ton of web spiders here, so far, lol

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have some pretty industrious and fast spiders that can make a web accross a path in my yard 5 to 10' off the ground. Seems like I walk right into them too often. I am not particularly afraid of them, but you never know if they are in your hair when your upper torso is covered in webs.
I hate it when that happens.:spider::fechten2::chair:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a wolf spider in my kitchen 2 years ago- with babies! Mom had died and the kids scattered. It was like the movie Arachniphobia!! I called my husband at work hysterical and he told me just to step on them. He didn't realize there were spiders EVERYWHERE!
Floors, walls & ceilings in 3 rooms covered. 1/2 gallon of pesticide and a couple of hours out of the house and problem solved. I HATE spiders!! Hubby saw the extent when he got home, 12" floor tiles averaged 20-30 spiders each.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I would have reacted the same way in the house. They can carry hundreds of babies. As long as they stay outside I will leave them alone.

They are great to have, just because of insect removal, good for crop bugs. We have tons of black crickets, I sure hope they eat those suckers. I know the frogs do.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never thought of that! I hope I never have to use that. I told my husband if it happens again I'll be down the road in a motel!

Ask a Question