Resident GURU please!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
What are the little tiny worms ,I used to find in my old filter ? I have not seen any ,in the new system ,yet! where do they come from,are they beneficial or deteriental ,I was just reading about critters here ,and it reminded me to inquire .little pinkish worms ,about 1/2 -3/4 inch about as big around as a sm. pc. of string.They seemed to be interested in the black gunk caught in the thick mat filter media ,used to have quite a few!ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Minge fly larve. I think I have that spelled right...lol . Completely safe, make great food for small fish and they are eating away at some of the stuff caught up in the filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ACTUALLY ITS MIDGE FLY LARVAE...A.K.A "BLOOD WORMS"...PERFECTLY GOOD TREATS FOR FISH...YOU CAN BUY THEM FROZEN AND FREEZE DRIED!

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Minge fly larve. I think I have that spelled right...lol . Completely safe, make great food for small fish and they are eating away at some of the stuff caught up in the filter.
Pleased to hear that ,any other things to watch out for,This is fasinating stuff ,The red wasps love my reserve water tank w/ the water hyacints in it! thanks Carl

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Used to buy them frozen and freeze dried for my tropical fish..............they loved them!

Reaction score
Cool, need to attract some of those to my filter. What do they like to eat? Chocolate?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
ACTUALLY ITS MIDGE FLY LARVAE...A.K.A "BLOOD WORMS"...PERFECTLY GOOD TREATS FOR FISH...YOU CAN BUY THEM FROZEN AND FREEZE DRIED!

LOL, I knew when I typed it it didn't look right. Oh well stand corrected. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't take the time to google the correct name. My bad.

Bucky, Not sure if they like chocolate or not. But I'm sure they would love a ceaser salad with some crunchy sashimi on top. maybe some slimy pickled pigs feet on the side. JK, LOL

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I used to have lots of them in my filter medium last season...saw only 1 this season. Not sure why the 1000% decrease.

:goldfish:
I am a little embarassed to say,I think ,I know why the decrease ,At least in my case If I did not clean the filter regulary ,I got a lot more ,may be I am being too effecient and doing too much too soon! HUUm

Reaction score
You know since you brought it up, I bought my first bag of Japanese Koi Food this week. Hikari Supreme or something like that. I got the bag and thought, "WTH? This looks like a bag of people food. My dad spent a lot of time in Japan for work and he used to bring back tons of snacks. They were all packed in this exact same type of bag, with the same printing, similar graphics, everything. So I opened the bag and it smelled a little fishy, but not like flake food. It reminded me of the squid jerky my dad used to bring back. So I guess my question is, are koi pellets edible by humans? I loved the squid jerky, so it would be great to find a local source for that snack.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Taste them and let us know Buck! I would be leary tho of ingesting them as they might come from floor scrapings or something not as sanitary as our regulations might allow for human consumption. But you go ahead if you want to and if you get ick or something will send your wife lots of salt to sprinkle on ya for the cure,lol!

Reaction score
lol, yeah, thank god I've got a QT now in the basement. If the worst happens, I can just jump in that for 3 weeks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol, not sure I would eat it, I have some koi food and it smells real fishy, but then again I don't eat fish that smells fishy lol

Ask a Question