Restoring an old pond (complete with photos)

Reaction score
Guys,

around a year ago I posted on here for advice on restoring an old pond which had been abandoned and severely neglected at a house I had just purchased. I had a thriving pond at my last house and wanted to transfer my fish to the new pond which in short, turned out to have many leaks due to massive overgrowth and some caused by myself plodding around trying to clear it out, it took 7 hours alone to clear out the overgrown pond plants! It was so overgrown, some people had walked into it and didn't even notice, I was able to stand on top of it without getting wet!!!

Below are the before and after photos developing through each stage.

Extremely overgrown, pitchfork and waders required!!!

1.jpg

Finally chopped everything out, just have to find the holes and clean out whats left floating

2.jpg

Drained and holes patched (or so I thought).

3.JPG

Starting to fill, I also re-mortared some of the slabbing around the edges at this stage.

4.jpg

Finally filled (had to fix a few more patches after this as it started to sink again)

5.jpg

3 Months later! (Fish added to keep herring away)

6.jpg

Photo taken yesterday, pond in full growth and thriving

7.jpg

Reaction score
I have about 15 Koi, the largest is about 11 inches. and about 30 goldfish, I also have some grass carp for eating algae

Ask a Question