restoring unkempt after several years of non use

Reaction score
We purchased a home on 14 plus acres late summer of 2011. It has a pond that had not been touched in several years. Lots of duckweed and many frogs. Last summer we were too busy with other project to spend any time on it. However we now wish to restore it. It is about 30' by 28' and about 5' deep in the center. We discover under a ton of leaves a waterfall. The pond is on the edge of a woods and is shaded by oak trees. We cleaned out a good six inches of dirt from the bottom. Now we need to figure out how to set up a filter system or how to maintain by CouponDropDown">water quality. We are needing a lot of help!
Just an idea of what type filter to use how to make one inexpensively etc.

have included 3 photos so as to see where we are at.

pond 1.jpgpond 2.jpgpond 3.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice and big!

I filter mine with just a bog type filter, i.e. pea gravel, a ton of plants. No bottom drain in the pond, once or twice a year I net the bottom of the pond. Cheap to build, liner, pea gravel, pvc and plants, easy to maintain, my pond water stays perfect, no algae or green water. My bog is big about 1/4 the size of the pond. I love the plants that grow in it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
filters are easy and you tube has lots of video's but you may want to check liner for leaks and get water in it as it dries out it could cause problems with the liner degrading .I built mine again and made it bigger .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
skippy or similar .I built mine using part that and part another .I use lava rock in my filter and lots of plants
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57140]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57137]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57141]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57138]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56880]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is just mix of what I liked in a couple of them and so far 2 years now it has worked but I did need a bigger one .i have 2 pumps 2 filters and 2 waterfalls from them .I just went bigger

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Given that you have a big yard I suggest you go with the bog. It is more work to put in but should last for years and give great results with little or no maintenance.

I have neither a bog or a skippy so I am a neutral party this time out ;) Could we please see some pictures :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I some times wonder if my filters are a little bog as there are lots of plants in them .The only thing is a bog is extra work and extra money and that would depend on how much money you have and how strong your back is .Pea gravel and plumbing all need to be done right but there is great info on here from addy and ce and others who have bogs .You could start with a filter and still put in a bog later when money and time and energy permits .Plus with this weather we don't want any pond casualties :cheerful: I am neutral on it too because just like UV'S I have no clue .Just to much work for me to do .

Reaction score
another question I have is for the size of pond we have which is about 10,000 gallons we are going to need a larger filter system correct?

Ask a Question