Rethink as to fish Anesthesia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting article has come up over what our experts think abot fish anesthesia and its effects n some fish.
It is an in depth study with some interesting results :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....ime_to_rethink_anaesthetics?&utm_content=html

Give it a read let me know wht you think especially those wjho have had to use anesthetics on their fish before now either to treat your fish or sadly eiuthanize them
Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A good article -- interesting that they train the fish and how the fish actually DO detect the chemicals. But this part, I was curious about....

"blunt trauma by an experienced aquarist followed by 'pithing' (destruction of the brain using a fine wire) is likely the most humane method of despatch currently available. But if you’re inexperienced, or dealing with something fiddly (how does one club the head of something like a Neon tetra?) then sedative is still likely the kindest thing you can do for your fish."

I understand "blunt trauma," but if you've smashed its little head in (sorry, I know that sounds bad), WHAT'S the purpose of "pithing?"

And why does one have to be experienced to use the "blunt trauma" method?
I guess it's just the idea, and a hard thing for some folks to do, to "club" an animal, but it is quick -- no suffering on the part of the fish. I'm always for NO SUFFERING!

Oh, and an "edit" here: When I read articles [like this one] & stories regarding animal rights in the UK, I am humbled:unsure: [and even sometimes embarrassed:oops:, being in the US...]! And that's especially true when it comes to our aquatic pets. I applaud a people who regard these animals as more than disposable property! (y)

Last edited:

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I take it that there aren't too many sport fishermen on this site?

That's what the little metal knob on the end of a filet knife is for, so you can bash the fish in the head prior to fileting it (Lake Trout, Walleye, Whitefish), so it doesn't flop around.

Now, live release during a tournament requires some know-how and equipment (ie. aerated livewells, cradle nets, etc.).

Koi, of course, require an OR setting. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Pithing is pobably whee the wire gets incerted in the head but sadly it appears to me brbaric
our method of painless sleep cause by anethesia i feel is the kindest of all.
PFK
I feel somtimes is a bit sensationist in my few and they are always on the look out or shocker stotries , the two latest that come to mind was a boy who barely survived after a freak accident whilst fishing caused him to swallowa carp life and when they cut it out of his stomach they found it stil alive.
The other a 21 year old mann swallowed a fish whilst swimming , sadly hewasnt as lucky and he died."see whgat I mean"....

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The "pithing" of biological specimens is a learned technique, that if not accomplished in one fell, deft movement will result in unnecessary pain for the subject animal. ost regarding the good, swift whack with the end of a filet knife was not a facetious post.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But why "pith" a fish that you just killed with blunt trauma? That's what I don't understand..... No pun intended, but isn't that overkill?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
prtersonally thats cruel give me MS222 for a quick dispatch any day of the week , I use it and I know its painless and quick

Dav

Ask a Question