MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We bought our property in the Pocono Mountains, PA almost 22 years ago. The one regret was buying property that didn't have a pond, stream, etc. My dream was to dig a pond in the field behind our house, but it never materialized. Now, that I am retired, we spend a lot more time in our back yard. I want to create a pond in our backyard beneath our deck and surrounded by our greenhouse, gardens and chicken coop/run. I've been looking into sunken and raised ponds, but haven't made up my mind. I thought joining this forum would help me learn more, so here I am.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! My ponds were all built post early retirement, have fun!

My dear hubby bought me a kubota tractor, for our first anniversary, our ground is to rocky to dig in. With the aid of it I dug up the yard...........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! You will get lots of great ideas here and answers to questions if you have them! You will find pond owners of all different types and backgrounds - great diversity of opinions, experience, and knowledge.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcome! While we live on 15 acres, our backyard is on the smaller side before it slopes down to a back field, so it would not be a huge pond, and since rocks are the number 1 crop here in the Pocono Mountains, I'm not sure I want to start digging. I am planning to build a ground level deck at the base of the stairs from the deck attached to our house and thought a small raised pond off the ground level deck might be a good place to start and learn. Something along these lines.....
pond001.jpg
pond002.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make it as big as you can, a lot of people start with a "small" pond then wish they had gone bigger. My first pond was around 200 gallons, the second pond was 14000 gallons. My ponds here are around 12000 gallons more or less, when you combine all the flowing water.
I have found bigger ponds are a lot easier to keep in good shape.

If you stick with a small pond, stick with shubunkins, goldfish, no Koi, they like a lot of water and grow big!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Doesn't that seem to be the way with all projects? ;) I wish I had built my deck larger, my greenhouse larger, my chicken coop larger, my home business warehouse larger, my wood working shop larger, etc....:LOL:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What I would really like to build is an eco system pond with no mechanical filtration, but I don't have the room in my small backyard for the size it would have to be to function effectively.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MoonShadows (now I'll be singing that song all day!) Welcome to our group! And as much as the idea of rocks is a pain for you, you don't know how envied you are by a lot of us -- we LOVE rocks, though I agree, not necessarily the kind you have to dig up.... Here, in LA, we have to BUY our rocks. Grrrrr!

You could always rent a small excavator to help with the digging. It sure helps the process go a lot faster and easier (and they are awfully fun to operate!) As many have stated, it's best to go as big as you are able to. That will make your initial costs on the higher end, but in the long run, I find it's easier to maintain the water quality.

Ask a Question