Retrofit bottom drain - install without cutting liner in a running pond

Reaction score
The reason it's harder to maintain a syphon in a larger diameter pipe (tube) than in a larger pipe is because of air infiltration.
I should have said "The reason it's harder to maintain a syphon in a larger diameter pipe (tube) than in a smaller pipe is because of air infiltration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Y'all are making irritable that none of ya told me to make a bottom drain in my pond when I remade it last summer. You included Meyers...

You're all on my crap list for the next 24 hours.

Then again, I don't know if I can keep darters, fancy gold fish and dojo loaches with bottom drains.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Y'all are making irritable that none of ya told me to make a bottom drain in my pond when I remade it last summer. You included Meyers...

You're all on my crap list for the next 24 hours.

Then again, I don't know if I can keep darters, fancy gold fish and dojo loaches with bottom drains.

Probably because I didn't think that you would need one. I often use my inclusion on 'crap lists' in my list of references.;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You'll find people here are both very kind and very smart. We do allow for lots of differences of opinion, but we do make sure to clarify when there are differing opinions vs things which are fact. For example - water is wet: fact. Ponds should never have rocks or gravel in them: opinion. When people state opinions as facts, you may find there are challenges. But it's through clarifying and bolstering our ideas that we learn and grow, right? Don't ever take it personally - it's all in the interest of developing as good pondkeepers.

I entirely understand. Too many dogmas have infiltrated even the disciplined sciences due to failure to follow rules that keeps confirmation bias in check.

"Water is wet" is a statement of common sense moreso than fact, reflecting the obvious without further dissemination. If you told a scientist "water is wet", then they would tell you it is a contradiction of semantics. However, we generally understand the essence of what is said and so it just makes common sense to us.

You will not find any scientific study that factually validates that "water is wet".

Limiting factors exist in all systems, and this determines feed regiment and fish numbers as well as other variables.

Factors also exist that apply to all systems, such as the impacts of water flow through pipes and the impact this has on sedimentation inside a pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lisak, I understand why you think your lecturing of me was needed, but I will not take it personally, yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
bottom%20drain%20system_zps4lph0gy5.jpg

@Usman , this is the more correct implementation of a gravity flow retrofited drain.

This removes the water bridge in the siphon.

@Usman , the water bridge in the siphon is the failure point.

Water always contains gases that are waiting to be released. These gases eventually build up at the top, inside the siphon bridge. This accumulation of gases will eventually slow down the siphon to the point of failure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
its ok Sir dont take it too serious , me and Mayer always argue too , we had fight in past too after that i was ignoring him then realized hes not bad person hes trying to help every one , can be critical strict at times but i got used to it i take him as uncle professor who tries to correct our shortcomings :) , some times hes rite some times us , same with every one here need to b patient on others wrong criticism after telling your logical points and on the other hand open for correction too

I understand, but I am not here to add more family members. I already have plenty of family, as well as the drama that goes with family. I am here because I enjoy helping others moreso than to receive criticism. I am quite open to disagreement when it actually occurs. I am quite happy to agree to disagree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
it is more technically difficult to +pull over the top+ . but it can be done

I like this implementation as well, but this does involve "cutting the liner", except into the wall rather than the floor. This "cutting" is much easier to implement as well when using a pipe boot. @Usman , pipe boots are quite easy to install and very reliable. This would be a much more viable option for you, rather than an entry in the floor.

Only addendum I would add to @PondMutt 's implementation, I would raise the point of entry to be at least one foot above the ground or halfway between the water line and floor. Then, although unnecessary to PondMutt's installation, connect a standpipe just outside the point entry to break the suction of any potential failure that could lead to the tank being emptied by accident. PondMutt's skimmer serves has his standpipe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Usman- In the first photo could you not attach the pipe to the pickup by placing it into the side without any elbows? Cut an oval shaped hole and the pipe cut on an angle, less restrictions.
Gave me some good ideas instead of a hole in the bottom and can remove for the winter.

Sure like that flow calculator. What is the ideal flow rate for the outflow side of a pump? I see mose use 2" pupe but would 3" be better? Not much more cost.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the ideal flow rate for the outflow side of a pump? I see mose use 2" pupe but would 3" be better? Not much more cost

Don't quite understand the question. If a pump is, for example, a 3000 gph. This is then the ideal outflow for that pump. Increasing the pipe size from that recommended by the manufacturer will not increase this flow rate. It may reduce the friction loss in the piping but it will also add more weight in water for the pump to push.

Ask a Question