Retrofit of Pump & Filter System

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I just posted on the Introduction board, I'm new water gardens. We purchased a new home about a year ago which came with a 1600 gallon koi pond. Over the past year I've been focused on learning and its taken almost all of my time just to keep the pond going. The previous owner built the pond in approx 2000. It's approx 10' long by 4.5' wide, and kidney shaped. In the center the pond is around 4' deep with an 18" wide shelf on the sides, generally betwen 8 - 12" deep depending on water level.

The pond originally had a tetrapond pressure filter with built in UV, though the UV did not work when we purchased. The water is moved by a giant sump pond 5000gph which is housed in an underground pit about 3 ft from the pond. To feed the pump their is a large PVC section of pipe going over the liner, into the pond, about 2' deep, with a basic blue pond filter end (not sure how to describe).

This past September I had had enough with the pressure filter and, along with my fish guy, installed a large waterfall filter replacement, which worked much better at catching string algae. I've had constant problems with water quality due to the lack of a skimmer and UV clarifier, and my water stays a constant green with "icky" smell when I do my water changes (water left in the bottom). This winter, probably due to the temp, the water became clear and I was actually able to see and enjoy our fish. I've added beneficial bacteria constantly, added sludge cleaner in fall and spring, and try to generally not add many chemicals other than ammo lock during water additions or changes, and a clarifier on extreme occasions to help with the water .

I'm at the point I want to retrofit to a skimmer system with an enclosed drop-in pump, as well as an added UV clarifier. However, I'm not sure if a skimmer box will work on the outside of the pond due to the shallow shelf. I know I can use an in pond skimmer, but from what I've read the skimmer box systems seem to work better. Honestly, there is just such a vast array of pump, filtration and UV systems its hard to determine te best, but still cost effective, choices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also attaching a few pics to give folks an idea of what I'm working with. My plan is to do the retrofit during a complete water swap with the koi staying in an aerated kiddy pond. So I really want to do things right as time will be a big consideration. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 370
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 374

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish I could help, my system is so basic (just a bog, a pump and a skimmer) The skimmer I use is a pool skimmer plumbed into the liner. Works great. My pump is external.
I use the basic principle of a gravel (bog) type filter full of plants. Keeps the pond in great shape, no smell, no green water, no string algae. I use no chemicals

I read those that use uv lights they do help with the green water. They do not remove the string algae.

The sump pump is an electricity hog (usually) you may want to look at a different pump for your system. from what I am sort of figuring out, the sump pump is in a pit that draws water from the pond, which is then pumped back? The basic blue filter, is it in the pond before the water flows to the sump pit? You might not have enough filtration going. When you say basic blue, like a pad?

You could plumb in an external skimmer, mine is in water that is only about a foot deep. Just clean the liner real well, I used the gasket and sealant (double protection lol) no leaks. During winter I put a plastic bag stuffed with bubble wrap into the skimmer to displace any water (turn the skimmer off via the ball valve) no freezing issues.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just use quilt batting it may be extra work but worth it a 100 times over
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54043]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

Reaction score
This winter I am going to retrofit my 1000 g pond with a savio compact skimmer (external) and I don't plan to completely drain the pond, just to below the weir. You may also want to look at the aqua arts retrofit bottom drain.

Reaction score
Everyone,

Thank you so much for the many suggestions. Up until now, I had never even heard of a bog. As I do enjoy my waterfall, I'm thinking about possibly installing a new pump and diverting possibly 1/3 of the water into a bog on the far end of my pond. This would allow me to continue to enjoy my waterfall, but also take advantage of the natural filtration a bog provides.

I would probably run an in-line UV between my pump and waterfall filter, after the split to the waterfall/bog. Hopefully this would provide enough nutrient to the bog while also helping to prevent algae build-up and green water. I would additionally replace the external sump pump with an external skimmer with a submerged pump inside.

Honestly, I think I can work out the physics. I just worry about my handyman skills and hope I can successfully dig out and install the skimmer box external to the existing liner. I helped my fish guy installs the water fall box, and cut the liner to handle the weir there, so at least I do know the basics around the epoxy, cutting, etc. Also, does anyone know if their is a standard table for determing optimal UV wattage per GPH and length of bulb?

Sorry for all the questions. My feeling is that if I can solve my water issue mechanically (E.g. Skimmer, pump, UV), I can then branch out with more biological filtration such as the bog. I'm perfectly open to a middle ground combining natural and less natural filtration. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Jrm40982 said:
....1/3 of the water into a bog on the far end of my pond. ....

The far end of your pond, opposite your waterfall is my understanding the best place to locate your skimmer. Also, it is not a bad idea to have your skimmer feed your bog.

I would probably run an in-line UV between my pump and waterfall filter,

You want the cleanest possible water going to your UV, so after your filter.

Also, does anyone know if their is a standard table for determing optimal UV wattage per GPH and length of bulb?

Here is a blurp I've copied about UV:

Ultraviolet Sterilization

Commonly called “UVs”. As our pond water gets warmed and exposed to more and more sun we will start growing a micro organism or “Algae” that will turn out water green. The only way we can kill this green alge is with a germicidal bulb or UV. This bulb will emit ultraviolet radiation, effectively killing everything that flows past it. The UV sterilizer should be placed after the pump and filtration for best results. The size of the UV sterilizer needed is dependant on flow rate and pond size. Once again, here’s where a trusted dealer can help you choose what will work the best for you.

Sorry for all the questions.
Questions are good. I wish I had asked more questions before I started and re-did. A few more years and I might know enough to start a beginner pond.

This link is a good Filtration Basics, I've read it over a few times and it is starting to make perfectly good sense. I think. Maybe. I'll tell you after I add the skimmer this winter.

Ask a Question