Returning Redslider turtle in my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a red slider turtle that had seemingly made my pond its home for awhile. Then out of the blue she/he was no where to be seen, a few months went by and low and behold it returned!!! I guess it didn't realize how good it had it !

But my question is she has alot of furry on her outer shell. I am tempted to scrub it off but do not want to do any damage in the mean time. What are peoples thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What exactly is "furry?" Unless you use sandpaper or an electric sanding disc, turtle shells are pretty strong. If for some reason you absolutely had to clean off a turtle shell, I'd think one of those blue Scotch-Brite non-scratch pads meant for dishes and say Dawn dish soap (Dawn is recommended by veterinarians for mammals, even baby mammals like guinea pigs) in a warm water solution, and gently clean the shell. Keep it tilted so head is above everything else so any drips run towards the tail, and avoid excess water. Rinse the soapy solution off afterwards with fresh water. If your water is heavily chlorinated, consider buying a gallon of drinking water at a store and use some of that for the soapy solution too.

Think most here will tell you to just leave it be, but if it has a bunch of fungus or stuff it can't shake off, don't think a quick wipe down will hurt. Be mindful to try and keep the water/soap off the skin and neck, and if it pulls it's head in, not to let water go into the neck hole opening. If soap does get on the face/eyes, tilt head DOWN and rinse it immediately with fresh water.

Turtles will leave the water and can travel a little bit to find a suitable spot to lay eggs (often a front yard if near a lake, or similar). Chances are if a female, she might have done that and now returned.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your RES will love having the shell cleaned. Use an old toothbrush (That's what I use on mine) and gently rub. It helps to have a trickle of running water to assist during the cleaning. You can tell gender by looking at pictures on line. Males have longer claws, concave plastron (bottom shell) and the males tail tends to be thicker.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What exactly is "furry?" Unless you use sandpaper or an electric sanding disc, turtle shells are pretty strong. If for some reason you absolutely had to clean off a turtle shell, I'd think one of those blue Scotch-Brite non-scratch pads meant for dishes and say Dawn dish soap (Dawn is recommended by veterinarians for mammals, even baby mammals like guinea pigs) in a warm water solution, and gently clean the shell. Keep it tilted so head is above everything else so any drips run towards the tail, and avoid excess water. Rinse the soapy solution off afterwards with fresh water. If your water is heavily chlorinated, consider buying a gallon of drinking water at a store and use some of that for the soapy solution too.

Think most here will tell you to just leave it be, but if it has a bunch of fungus or stuff it can't shake off, don't think a quick wipe down will hurt. Be midful to try and keep the water/soap off the skin and neck, and if it pulls it's head in, not to let water go into the neck hole opening. If soap does get on the face/eyes, rinse it immediately with fresh water.

Turtles will leave the water and can travel a little bit to find a suitable spot to lay eggs (often a front yard if near a lake, or similar). Chances are if a female, she might have done that and now returned.
Furry algae overgrowth, I forgot to mention that, Yes that turtle traveled out into the street one day but it always seemed to return. I thought perhaps may have gone off looking for a mate or to check out a creek across the street. Either way we are delighted she has returned picture forthcoming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your RES will love having the shell cleaned. Use an old toothbrush (That's what I use on mine) and gently rub. It helps to have a trickle of running water to assist during the cleaning. You can tell gender by looking at pictures on line. Males have longer claws, concave plastron (bottom shell) and the males tail tends to be thicker.
thank you so much !!! I know stupid people who have painted their shells UGH!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our Yellow Bellied Slider has been around for about three years…. Loves Koi food, has grown exponentially…. He/she also goes and takes a dip in our pool about once every week. No algae on him…. Chlorine bath keeps him spic and Span. LoL Jimmy

Attachments

• 4A81ABA2-99A9-4E99-B2D0-7E3114F1E4C1.jpeg
    4A81ABA2-99A9-4E99-B2D0-7E3114F1E4C1.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i FINALY FOUND WHAT THE EXCITEMENT WAS ALL ABOUT WITH THE DIAMOND BACK TARPIN @Jhn was talking about they are extremely beautiful.

Ask a Question