Returning to a tropical tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’ve got a great eye and green thumb to have all those plants! I struggle to keep more than pothos and spider plants alive. I have a rosebush I have in a planter I brought in for winter, it bloomed inside! I’m hoping I can keep it alive all winter. So right now, I’m planning on how to scape the 30 gallon tank so I can have plants the pleco won’t kill. Does anyone have experience of plecos with water lillies? If they’re compatible, I’ll put two of my smaller lillies in that tank, I’ll get Anubis come spring, and work on filling other spots with suitable plants as I learn what will work. I’ll turn the HOB filter into a planter for pothos and I’m thinking I’ll try the peace lilly there too, to fill it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Have a peace lily in my kitchen tank I built for my wife. It has a live wall as well fed from the fish tank. You can put just about any plant hanging in fish waste. There is a HOB filter with I believe spider plant parts. The pump runs water to top and drips through felt moss and roots until it goes back into tank. I used another boot tray on this one just hung it vertical. Plants are very easy like this and all the bromeliads are only living off attached to the drift wood as water runs down cleans water and feeds the plants. This tank is 10 gallons and I had it for a quarantine tank for fish and new plants. All runs in one timer and zero maintenance other than adding water once a week.
15462986965203718223391280507237.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
old thread @JBViper4
But we should have a thread with the aquariums that got us to look and build a pond.

I believe this would be called a vivarium . This was my planted tank with a twist. As I had shaft tail finches breeding above a 90 gallon corner tank .
16640-162277f2cc61318e99ea9265d87cb528.jpg
MNC_3710.JPG
Planted Tank (100 of 2).jpg
TOTY-09-28-2.JPG

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am getting back into indoor tanks (as well as my pond). Your design is amazing. Making me think about some CO2 and doing a similar aquascape!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was a co2 system with a big ehiem canister and a 30" waterfall. I fed only the birds for the most part as they pooped and it landed in the open top fish tank . the fish devoured it and between the fish and the birds that was the only fertilizer for the plants other than some co2. I loved that tank. AND I THOUGH CUTTING THE PLANTS BACK TWICE A WEEK WAS A LOF OF WORK. the pond is a bit more but i love tinkering. i just made a waterproof shelf . and built the tank off the wall a foot or so

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is that downoi ? or dwarf sagitaria?
either way your doing well no algea spots on the nana or the log well done sir

Ask a Question