Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry for the insanely long post!

Water quality

* Ammonia Level (pond) 0.0
* Nitrite Level (pond) 0.0 nitrate 0.0 also
* Ammonia Level (tap water) 0.0
* Nitrite Level (tap water) 0.0
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) ph 8.0, kh 4, gh 4, phosphates 0, iron - 0, TDS - 80
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 7.8, 9, 9, 0
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API liquid test, Seachem iron test, 2 TDS meters

Other useful information:
* Water temperature? 53F
* Pond size and how long has it been running? ~4,000g, running since the end of the summer 2014
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 10'x3' gravel bog, 30ft stream, lots of plants, DIY skimmer w/medium sponge and pond master 5000 biofalls with medium sponge mat and bio media
* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% water changes in spring and fall during cleanout but besides that water is removed when it overflows (often enough) and is replaced by rain or auto top off (auto top off rarely comes on)
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? see above
* How many fish in the pond and their type? about 20 standard goldfish ranging from 4in to 12in + 2 babies
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used? none, filtered well water
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Used to, drs foster and smith staple, every other day and are feed very slowly so no food is allowed to escape the fishes mouths (none goes into the skimmer or around the edge). Have not feed the fish since last August 2015
* Any new fish added to the pond recently? not since startup
* Any medications added to the pond? never
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond. none
* Any unusual findings on the fish? one fish as had a popped eye since last summer, seemed caused by some sort of trauma while they were breeding
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no
Additional info - Pond gets TONS of sunlight. I am on a well but the iron is high so we use a water softener/conditioner. That water is what I use to clean the pond and refill after vacuuming but the auto top off is raw water that has been ran through a dedicated iron filter only.

History
I finished my pond in the fall of 2014, several plants were planted at that time. That winter some filamentous algae grew in the main pond only, not the stream. Shortly after the ice melted it floated up from the bottom of the pond and was caught by the filters and was gone from the pond. Once the water was warm enough I did start feeding my fish very lightly and slowly letting no food reach the skimmer or edges. Beginning of May green water started, I added an umbrella for shade, by mid June it was cleared up. Shortly after that I started seeing the first signs of nutrient deficiency in my plants, lilies and marsh plants alike. End of June the first bit of filamentous algae starts in the stream and has not gone away since! Mid July every plant is suffering in some way and the algae in the stream is spreading, it could have been in the pond as well but the fish seem to eat it faster than it grows.

Beginning of August I came here for help after manual removal was not working. Answers I got were....

1. That the rocks in the stream were collecting debris and releasing nutrients that the algae was using too fast to get a reading on my tests.
Response - I clean the stream in the spring and fall thoroughly and I can move all the rocks around and find nothing more than some sand.

2. Stop feeding the fish because that is adding too much phosphorus and they have enough natural food.
Response - I'll try it. I don't like the idea cause I enjoy the interaction with the fish and I don't feed heavily but I will do it. It also goes againsteverything I've learned in planted aquaria but ok!

I have not feed the fish since the beginning of last August and the algae has not let up, at all! Getting close to pond season now I want to try to get this under control.

Future?
I've been doing as much research as possible and I keep planted aquariums. My theory is that when the plants started suffering and the algae started growing is when the plant mass was larger then the nutrients provided and the nutrients ran out. The plant mass was quite large by that time too. If you look at my water parameters the water is void of everything even super low in TDS. In planted aquariums you can have excess nutrients without algae as long as your plants are healthy and the light is not ridiculously high BUT having even one nutrient bottom out causes the plants to suffer then algae is all too happy to take over as it only need a tiny bit of nutrients to grow where as the plants need a higher amount of a variety of nutrients to be healthy.

But we are talking about ponds here. This is NOT something I see discussed in pond care though, always the opposite and that phosphorous is most evil thing created. In planted aquariums years ago it was the same though, then the community got a better understanding of what was really going on and discovered that Phos wasn't THE problem but healthy plants were the solution and by giving them excess nutrients they flourished and algae never gets a chance.

In conclusion, I feel that the excess sunlight and LACK of nutrients may be what is causing the imbalance of my pond. what do you guys think now?

This is what the pond looks like today, took pictures before I cleared the leaves like I do very regularly even in the winter.
IMG_2070.jpg

It was windy, sorry for the extra ripples. I had already removed the aerator but the algae was all over the hose and string for that too.
IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

This one section of the falls is clear though oddly, usually it is covered as well.
IMG_2073.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Bottom line: If you have filamentous algae then you have a Phosphorus level >0.05 ppm. This is a scientific fact....filamentous algae will not thrive at Phosphorus levels <0.05 ppm regardless of Nitrate level. What are you using to test the P level. Strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Calibrated API test kit

This is how I calibrate it.
First, buy a gallon of distilled water from your local grocery store. Use that to make the test standard solutions.

1. Add 1/4 teaspoon - a level measure, not a heaping measure - of KH2PO4 to 4 cups of distilled water (one quart). This gives you 4 cups of 1000 ppm phosphate water.
2. Mix 1/4 cup of that 1000 ppm water with 2 1/4 cups of distilled water. This gives you 2 1/2 cups of 100 ppm phosphate standard water.
3. Mix one cup of that 100 ppm water with one cup of distilled water. This gives you 2 cups of 50 ppm phosphate standard water.
4. Mix one cup of that 50 ppm water with one cup of distilled water. This gives you 2 cups of 25 ppm phosphate standard water.
5. Mix 1/2 cup of that 25 ppm water with 3/4 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 10 ppm phosphate standard water.
6. Mix 1/4 cup of 25 ppm water with 1 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 5 ppm phosphate standard water.
7. Mix 1/4 cup of 5 ppm water with 1 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 1 ppm phosphate standard water.
8. Use your test kit to measure the phosphate concentration in each of the 1,5,10, and 25 ppm phosphate standards. If you wish, add the 50 ppm standard to that set.
9. Compare the colors of those to the color card for your kit, and either verify the accuracy of the kit, or use those colors to train yourself to recognize the colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Not saying that phosphorous doesn't appear, what I am saying is that trace amounts of phosphorous and NO other nutrients cause plants to not be able to thrive and makes that phosphorous available to algae only. I am saying that I need MORE of everything including maybe phosphorous even.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Calibrated API test kit

This is how I calibrate it.
First, buy a gallon of distilled water from your local grocery store. Use that to make the test standard solutions.

1. Add 1/4 teaspoon - a level measure, not a heaping measure - of KH2PO4 to 4 cups of distilled water (one quart). This gives you 4 cups of 1000 ppm phosphate water.
2. Mix 1/4 cup of that 1000 ppm water with 2 1/4 cups of distilled water. This gives you 2 1/2 cups of 100 ppm phosphate standard water.
3. Mix one cup of that 100 ppm water with one cup of distilled water. This gives you 2 cups of 50 ppm phosphate standard water.
4. Mix one cup of that 50 ppm water with one cup of distilled water. This gives you 2 cups of 25 ppm phosphate standard water.
5. Mix 1/2 cup of that 25 ppm water with 3/4 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 10 ppm phosphate standard water.
6. Mix 1/4 cup of 25 ppm water with 1 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 5 ppm phosphate standard water.
7. Mix 1/4 cup of 5 ppm water with 1 cup of distilled water. This gives you 1 1/4 cups of 1 ppm phosphate standard water.
8. Use your test kit to measure the phosphate concentration in each of the 1,5,10, and 25 ppm phosphate standards. If you wish, add the 50 ppm standard to that set.
9. Compare the colors of those to the color card for your kit, and either verify the accuracy of the kit, or use those colors to train yourself to recognize the colors.

I defy anyone to determine 0.05 ppm from this color chart, calibrated or no.
phosphatecolorchart2.jpg

What you may need is more Nitrate, not Phosphorus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You are correct, that test doesn't test down to 0.05ppm. What test does that a hobbyist would use? (Once again I am not arguing that there are NO phosphates in my pond. I 100% believe they are there or the algae wouldn't be present)

Ok, so you may agree that I need more of at least one nutrient, yes? If I only need nitrates (quite possible so) how would you suggest I increase nitrates only? or at least without increasing phosphates? I have a theory but I wanna see what you say first. :)

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are no hobby grade test kits accurate enough for phosphate measurement. Phos is a big bugaboo for reef keepers and I gave up a long time ago trying to measure Phos. Most all tap water has a Phos reading of some sort as does well water. It's such a bad thing that the only way to truly beat it is to use nothing but rodi water. The best way to minimize algae in a pond is shade and plants,your pond looks to lack both.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You could take a forked stick and roll up that algae

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never really found a need for a Phosphorus test kit. After all, Nature is willing to give you pretty accurate test results. If you have Filamentous algae, you need to reduce P. If you don't have filamentous algae and the other algae and plants are happy, you have sufficient P. You will still need to test for Nitrate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would love to start feeding again, when the temp is right. But that is the total opposite of what I was told to do to control the algae in the first place. But I think feeding would be best for increased nutrients. Can I get more votes on that? Thank you @Meyer Jordan.
There are no hobby grade test kits accurate enough for phosphate measurement. Phos is a big bugaboo for reef keepers and I gave up a long time ago trying to measure Phos. Most all tap water has a Phos reading of some sort as does well water. It's such a bad thing that the only way to truly beat it is to use nothing but rodi water. The best way to minimize algae in a pond is shade and plants,your pond looks to lack both.
Shade is lacking but I have tons of plants, it's just winter. ;) 5 lilies, 17 marsh varieties in the stream and around the pond, 11 varieties in the bog plus water hyacinth, water lettuce and salvinia. Most have been planted for at least one full year but others are newer. I agree I need more shade, also contrary to what I was told when installing the pond. I keep a cantilever umbrella over the main pond all season and I have planted a new tree that will shade the stream a little in like 5 years. ;) Considering a shade sail but just can't figure out how we would install it.

You could take a forked stick and roll up that algae
It is too slimy, it just rolls right off. Best method I have found it to put up nets and media mats at the end of the stream and use a scrub brush.

Thanks everyone!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I battled this type of algae years ago, it was horrid, ended up using a dye and that was the answer. Don't use it much anymore though. I like you stream layout, it's gonna be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
And try some shade, see if that helps. That algae is thriving!
I battled this type of algae years ago, it was horrid, ended up using a dye and that was the answer. Don't use it much anymore though. I like you stream layout, it's gonna be fine.
Thank you for your input. Shade is key it seems! We planned on adding a large umbrella to the deck this year and with some additional temporary shade as well hopefully that'll do it.

Any more votes to start feeding the fish again? I got one so far, do we have two? :LOL: How about a (y) or (n)?

Ask a Question