reviews of pond vacuums

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking at purchasing or making a pond vacuum. I have used a few different commercial vacuums and was not impressed. I am looking for an in line self priming pump or not( with a strainer basket) that will handle sludge and has a power cord. I ordered a pump only to discover it had to be hard wired in. Or I am looking at the Power-Cyclone Pond Vacuum and would love feedback from any one that has had one for awhile. Or has any one used an in line pump with a strainer basket with success and what size, make etc are you using? I have a 3 ft deep, small area that accumulates sludge and is hard to reach with a shop vac or other vacs I have tried. Appreciate any feed back !!! Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This isn't exactly what you asked for - at all - Sorry! But thought it might be worth mentioning. I was thinking about a pond vac also - then one day when I was adding water, I put the hose on "jet" to get some crud off the waterfall rocks. (Adding the appropriate amount of water conditioner, of course.). I accidentally let it shoot down into the pond and it stirred up all sorts of funk and debris. The fish thought it was the best thing ever and all that grunge got sucked into the skimmer and trapped in the matala filter pads. I cleaned the pads two or three days in a row. After all that, the water was nice and clear, the fish had bellies full of algae and whatever else, and the pond bottom looked a lot cleaner! Just in case you want to try a little something while you are shopping for a vac. You might be looking for something more than this -- but it was kind of fun to do!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do this from inside the pond. I'll pull the hose in with me and jet it into the cracks and crevices to get things moving. Spray the pond bottom, stick it inside the fish cave. Shake all the "pond dust" loose!

Ask a Question