Revitilizing old pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone, new to the forum! I bought a house over a year ago and there is a pond in the back...well a hole with water!

The house was rented out for a few years and then unhabited for the last year before we bought, so the pond was seriously neglected. Right now, the water level is low, about 20 feet accross and maybe 2-3 feet deep, but it does get higher in the spring and fall. The pond level is basically the water table level. I can tell that the previous owners had done some sort of landscaping around it, because I am digging up some nice big rocks under the plants, grass and weeds that have taken over.

I guess the best thing to do would be to empty the pond and rent a shovel to dig out all the sludge and plants and try to start fresh, but I'm trying to avoid this. I don't mind putting in a little grunt work for a few weekends to try to make this thing more presentable. My goal for now isn't to have fish, just something that doesn't look and smell like a swamp!

So I've ordered this aerator :https://www.pondusa.com/product/aquascape-pro-60-pond-aerator/ which should arrive this week. I also added some of this product : https://canadianpond.ca/product/bacterius-pond-nitrification-control-organic-sediment/

I am now manually removing plants, grass, branches and whatever I can dig up while the water is low. I am also thinking of getting a floating skimmer to try to clear the surface up a bit.

Any other suggestions? Can I just keep on doing what I'm doing and get a decent end results? Or should I just start from scratch? Should I leave certain plants to act as a natural filter? Any gizmos or products I should know about?

Here are some before pics, I will snap some in the morning of what I've done so far! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 177

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The aerator will likely help more than the bacterial treatment. Just don't expect overnight results. And, oh yea, buy a good set of chest high waders because you will have to get into the pond with all of the muck to set the aerator diffuser. Make sure that someone else is standing by in case you get stuck in the muck. It does happen.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Haha good point, I was thinking about just going in there in my shorts, as the water is real shallow. Or just trying to toss the diffuser from the side. Should I set the diffuser on a rock or something, so that I don't lose it into the muck?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So here are some pics from what I got done yesterday, I'm pretty stoked! It looks better already. Should I be putting in some sort of geo, or a liner to help reduce the amounts of plants that grow back? Or are these plants helping uptake minerals and I just need to cut them once or twice a year? I have a bunch of rocks I will be adding with my bobcat, should I be putting anything under these?
I haven't even stafted the other side, but we can see there are some nice big stones theres also. This should be fun!

Thanks!

20160626_083515.jpg
20160626_083526.jpg
20160626_083546.jpg
20160626_083701.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Should I set the diffuser on a rock or something, so that I don't lose it into the muck?

You may need to remove some of the muck before setting the diffuser unit depending on the depth of the muck. If ou are lucky enough to get down to just soil then the diffuser cn be set there otherwise you may need to set it on concrete blocks. Setting it on the true soil bottom is the ideal placement.

Also, if you aren't already. wear the long arm protecting gloves when removing this muck.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks! I have some old patio tiles that might do the job.

Is that stuff that toxic?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! You need to be careful with old standing water. A small cut and you could acquire something from the water or muck.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok I will try to be more careful. I must admit the dog does drink the water! Guess I'll have to watch for that too.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got a couple more hours of work in yesterday and might have some time later today. I will post more pics!

Ask a Question