Reviving an abandoned pond, and hello!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm Arianddu, in South Australia. I'm in the process of re-establishing a pond that was emptied and left a decade ago. I got given two more, much smaller, pond shells that had been thrown away because they leaked - took me several years to get around to it, but I finally fixed the leaks (and invested in some pool liner, just in case), got some sleepers, some recycled pavers and bricks, built up two garden beds and now have the two smaller ponds staggered above the main, large one. I'm still working on getting the fittings in so that water can run from one pond to the next without losing all the water (need to borrow a better tool for cutting fibreglass), and I have two small waterfall shells that will be placed at the top of the system.
But the big pond is full, the pump has been installed as part of a subgravel filtration system (keeps the pump clean and you don't need to buy an expensive pump - my last cheap one ran for 8 years and was still working when I emptied the pond, never needed to clean it out.) I've put in two comets to keep the wrigglers at bay, and a few basic pond plants, and now I'm exploring plants to go in the pond and around it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds neat, post some pictures when you have time!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds neat, post some pictures when you have time!
thank you, and I will do. It's mid-autumn here in the Southern Hemisphere, so of course it's completely the wrong time to be buying plants as everything is going dormant. But it gives me time to get things set up and working, and time to research and plan, so I can get plants that will work with each other and the pond, rather than just what I randomly found and liked (which is what I did the first time around. But the first time around, I was a teen who decided a pond was what my mother's house needed, so I dug a hole, and it sort of chaotically crashed along from there.)

I've got quite a bit of pond liner left over, in an irregular shape, and was wondering what to do with it, and then I discovered all the posts on bogs...
...so I'm going to have to do some more digging, I think :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my bog, it takes care of the pond perfectly no filters to clean ever

Ask a Question