Rhetorical question...is there a way to neuter these fish!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They just keep multiplying!!!

I have a bunch of babies from last year. I started counting all my fish and stopped at 45. Half are mature, half are babies. Mix of goldfish, shubunkin and koi.

It's only about 1600-1800 gallons plus the bog which is about 14 foot by 5 foot by 12 inches deep.

Can my veterinarian neuter them??
Saltpeter??
I'm joking...of course.
Just that they keep multiplying!
And they keep multiplying!
And multiplying....

I guess I have to find someone that can take some.
This is getting ridiculous!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to have the same problem years ago, that's why I used to rehome all female koi (I only have koi and 2 shubunkins both males) then one year I realized I had grown attaches to one of my females, and so we decided to redo the pond so that no plants were in the same pool as the fish, without the plants the eggs can't hide and get eaten. I haven't had a single fry since, that's why when we built the second pond, we purposely designed it with a separate pool just for plants
...but this is probably not an option for a goldfish garden pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was being overrun with baby goldfish and Rosy Red minnows until I got a trio of golden orfes. Now the adult minnows are the smallest thing in the pond and they are dying off of old age (4-5 years?).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard of people separating their boys and girls into two separate ponds and toyed with the idea in my mind but then I could have sworn someone at the pond place saying that then we have to physically smack the eggs out of the females when they are "in season"!
Is this true??

Ask a Question