Rigid insulation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Is there an issue with floting some ridgid insulation on the pond? Does it leach chemicals that are a problem?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmmm... good question. I'd be more concerned about blocking sunlight and gas exchange, but chemical leaching is also a possibility. Are you thinking additional warmth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've seen a reputable koi hobbiest do this with his pond. He didn't have the entire pond covered in this fashion, but an area and then it was covered with a heavy plastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I was thinking mostly for the pond that has water lily in it so as not to freeze to the bottom. There are no fish in it now but there is water exchange to the lower pond with fish. Might wait until it starts to freeze and shut down the pumps so I dont get the water water exchange to the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You'd benefit more from some sort of hoop house/greenhouse structure over top. I've done this for the past 3 years and it makes a huge difference; the ice is almost non-existent, esp since I now also keep a pump/wfall running all winter. The sun shining on the enclosed area helps keep temps up as well as water warmer. What is your frost/freeze level? How deep is the lily pond? Here in Michigan, we can get ice up to 14" with a cold winter. As long as your lilies are below any ice line, you'll be fine. Maybe you can trim back the lilies and lower them to the bottom of your main pond, then lift them back in the spring?

If you go hoop house, make sure you use UV resistant plastic sheeting. The stuff from box stores won't cut it more than a season. I got mine from and Ag supply store. Also, do some youtubing as there's ways and there's ways to do this. You don't want any unpainted pvc to come in contact with the plastic as that will degrade it prematurely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Problem I have is my pond is on a hill side so I have no flat area to build a cover on. The top pond has 24" of water with several water lily. Last year I covered with plywood and straw with a tarp over. Was not pleased with the results as the tarp leaked water in with the mouldy straw. The lower pond I covered 1/2 of it with plywood to stop the snow hitting the pond coming off the roof and shocking the fish. Everything survived the winter last year while I was away for 4 months. The top and bottom pond are part below grade and 1/2 above on the low side with a bog in the centre section.

Evening pond.jpeg
.IMG_0705.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Problem I have is my pond is on a hill side so I have no flat area to build a cover on. The top pond has 24" of water with several water lily. Last year I covered with plywood and straw with a tarp over. Was not pleased with the results as the tarp leaked water in with the mouldy straw. The lower pond I covered 1/2 of it with plywood to stop the snow hitting the pond coming off the roof and shocking the fish. Everything survived the winter last year while I was away for 4 months. The top and bottom pond are part below grade and 1/2 above on the low side with a bog in the centre section.

View attachment 134770
.View attachment 134769
you don't need a flat surface; just bury some pinions and each of your 'hoops' will be customized depending on how far down the slope they are. Just set up a string that is approx level, top of slope to bottom, and work your measurements off that. Your plastic will be customized, or you can just let it fold as it will down the slope. That's what I do. When the snow starts piling up, it holds the edge, though I also put some weight on it initially. Watch some youtube videos and see if it's something you can work with.

If your lily pond isn't too wide/large, you could work with some rigid clear roof panels; you'd still need the framework, but if you pitch it right, the snow should slide off. It too would probably need to be customized per your slope pitch.

something like this (sorry about the crudeness; am working with a mouse)

hop drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you really think your water will freeze solid at 24 inches deep? Even in the coldest winter we've never had more than a few inches of ice. Remember - ice and snow are themselves insulating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I probably will be ok but the pond is below grade on one side and all above grade on the other. There are lots for rocks and some fill so I probably wont freeze the water lily. The other pond with the fish is deeper and I don't worry about them. Already they are frozen over.

Ask a Question