Rigid vs flexible liner

Reaction score
I am reading a book about building ponds and they say there are two styles : rigid and flexible liner ponds. My question is is it about hte material you use to cover the surface or the line of the pond (geometric, natural) ? I am not native English speaking so i don't understand exactly what they mean

Thanks, Radu

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
riged is preformed plastic type liner and has different shapes and flexible is a rubber type liner from 20 mil thick to 60 mil thick and you can form it to any shape you want .Rigid can also mean a concrete built with a coating on it to keep cement from leeching into pond you can also get the most expensive which is gunnite type which is sprayed on like a swimming pool .Most here go with the flexible type as the easiest to install and work with to make any shape pond you want and is great to make streams and waterfalls and you can cut the rubber easy .It is flexible and easy to work with when you order rigid you are stuck with that shape and that size and are more expensive and more to ship .They now have come up with a new somewhat flexible rigid liner (easier to ship thats all ) but you are still stuck with the size and shape

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
20 mil liners are generally made of pvc and are short lived by comparison to the 45mil EPDM rubber liners,which are the industry standard as of now!

Reaction score
rigid only come in smaller sizes also, but good for a beginner to learn and grow to a bigger pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
rigid now with the new flexable rigid now comes in even the largest sizes you may want but can cost up to 4 thousand dollars

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
RaduGy said:
I am reading a book about building ponds and they say there are two styles : rigid and flexible liner ponds. My question is is it about hte material you use to cover the surface or the line of the pond (geometric, natural) ? I am not native English speaking so i don't understand exactly what they mean

Thanks, Radu

Radu

Hope your paper is going great!

Like they all say above, a lot use the rigid, which is a preformed pond. Preformed by a machine, of different sizes and shapes. The hole is dug to the size of the preformed i.e. rigid pond. You do not have any flexibility in the shape of the pond it must match the rigid liner.

With a flexible liner pond you can make it to the size and shape you want. It can be in a formal shape like a box, rectangle, circle, or more natural edges not straight lines, small at one end, large at the other, like nature tends to make ponds.

For a flexible liner pond you dig a hole to the size and shape you want them buy the liner to fit the hole. The liner can be pvc, ppl, epdm The ppl and epdm will work better and last longer than the pvc. The thickness of the liner is important, most use 40 plus mls

Hope this helps

Ask a Question