River Otter got my fish

Reaction score
Only five fish left. One more was taken last night. I guess it is a river otter. There is a small stream about 1/2 block from the pond. That must be where the otter lives. I can see where the animal has made a path in and out of the pond. Last night I set a spring trap in that path but didn't catch him, but he got a fish. Had seven nice koi and about fifteen gold fish. Now down to five goldies. Interesting the otter took the large koi first. The otter will no doubt get the last five fish. It looks hopeless to replace the fish next spring.

rdk

Reaction score
My friend owns a fantastic one acre pond in up state NY. Had all his fish cleaned out by a river otter. I have better luck with my 310 gal pond with a good pond cover and I have all kinds of creatures coming to my pond every night trying to get a meal. RDK

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Countermeasures, think smarter than the otter. There must be a number of ways to deter or eliminate the problem. An electric fence might be your first choice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sad to hear about that troublesome otter. Maybe a strand of electric wire around the pond would do the trick. I don't think he'd like getting zapped every time he visits
smiley-shocked031.gif

Reaction score
It you have a Tractor Supply Company store nearby your better off getting materials there for an electric fence. Be sure to tell them it's for a river otter and they will help you select the smaller charger, wire and posts.

Reaction score
simple but ugly solution a spike barrier. I made one to keep the cat off the stereo. a piece of ply with nails or screws poking out. does wonders but ugly has hell.

Reaction score
You might want to check your liability limits on your homeowners insurance policy or buy an umbrella liability policy before doing the spike barrier.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good advice. Whenever I have had any dangerous or potentially lethal devices protecting my ponds, I personally turned them on and off at dusk and dawn.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Steve knight said:
simple but ugly solution a spike barrier. I made one to keep the cat off the stereo. a piece of ply with nails or screws poking out. does wonders but ugly has hell.

We used carpet tack strips to keep the coyotes from walking our fence in arizona, worked great. Even the neighbors were happy about moving them along.

Ask a Question