RO water vs BOG Plant growth

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I recently install RO water filtration that integrated for daily water needs in my house,
, the problem cos my ground and tap water is ridiculously hard
and even my bog plant has nothing to do to reduce hardness, (from what I really thought they needs calcium and magnesium too) but my water was even harder tho,
the impact was affect to my turtles
my turtles suffered mineral deposit on their shell, even its not cause any serious illness, but my eyes hurt really bad to see that nasty white stuff on their shell

so I start over again and overhaul a whole water, and now my water become very soft, TDS : 15, GH : 0

Question:
a. Can that low mineral water effect my bog plant growth ?

b. Are my plants can even dying for this lack of minerals situation ? but they still have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate from my fish & turtle poops tho?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not 100% sure i understand the question, but I'll guess that you're asking if the fact your water is too soft can affect your plant growth. The answer is yes - reverse osmosis strips the minerals from the water. Now eventually they may be able to get what they need from the nutrients in your pond, but without more information it's hard to say.

1. How old is the pond? 2. How many gallons? 3. How many fish and/or turtles? 4. How many plants? 5. What kind of filtration do you have?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As long as you know the gallons of your pond, you can always add back what the reverse osmosis system strips from the water that is beneficial to your plants, initially. Just need to test for what you are dosing.

RO water is somewhat pure but not completely pure ie TDS reading of 15, so it isn't stripped of everything plants feed on, unless you have a DI resin chamber that is in the system as well.

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
@Lisak1 yes, that's what I ask about,
my pond is 2000 gallon, the filtration is just bog, but I have mechanical post filtration after water through bog area to polish the water, the pond is about 2 years old, the plant is only dwarf papyrus grow in 600 gallon bog area, I have maybe 30 mosquito fishes, 2 plecos and 3 turtles

@Jhn yes I think about that too, my RO water still has TDS 15, thats not really pure water, but insanely low minerals water,
do u think i need mix tap water to certain level ? maybe to reach 50-100 TDS ?
, My purpose for this RO installation is just to lowering my GH to prevent another mineral deposit to my turtles,
then now im a little bit wondering how my dwarf papyrus respons too that low mineral water, my old water TDS was 250 something,
bog plant is pretty hardy right ? ,
I just think they can easily adapting low mineral condition and keep growing well as long theres nitrate in the water ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our well water is really soft, can't really get a reading, I have added crushed oyster shells to the bog to get the hardness up. My pond sits around 100 now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
now im a little bit wondering how my dwarf papyrus respons too that low mineral water

The good news is plants are very resilient. While your papyrus may indeed be affected by the low mineral water, you will see signs that it is floundering and be able to reverse the damage before it dies completely.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
so I start over again and overhaul a whole water, and now my water become very soft, TDS : 15, GH : 0

Question:
a. Can that low mineral water effect my bog plant growth ?

b. Are my plants can even dying for this lack of minerals situation ? but they still have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate from my fish & turtle poops tho?

Both your TDS and GH are entirely too low. Do you know what the KH is?
I would recommend the following minimum levels for plant growth-
-GH 70+
-TDS 250+

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Okay, I will mix it with my tap water to remineralize it
thanks sir!!!

Ask a Question