Rock Adhesive on Rubber Liner?

Reaction score
We're currently constructing a 3 tiered waterfall into a large pond. We've been using the recommeneded Black Waterfall Foam as a sealant between rocks, but we need more of an adhesive for other parts. We're putting rocks on the tiers of the waterfall, and need a waterproof (obviously!) adhesive that also will not eat away our 45 mL rubber liner. Specifically the vertical parts of the tiers, we want to adhere rocks to them, but the black foam isn't the right product. I've heard mention of roofing sealant, but wondered if there were any other options. Thanks!

Carlee

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Carleemann welcome to the forum.

Please post some info in the introductory section, size of pond, depth, fish, your location etc then we would be able to better help you.

Reaction score
Did an intro, and added some pics. Will do here as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pond 1.jpg
    Pond 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 997
  • Pond 2.jpg
    Pond 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Pond 3.jpg
    Pond 3.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,015

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the pics. One of the disadvantages of using a sealant to permanently adhere the rocks to the underside of the falls is that if you ever decide to change your mind and redo it or tweak here or there you may have to replace that part of the liner. On my falls what I did was stack some narrow rock up under the waterfall tier, I had to pull the rock on top forward a little bit, just be sure to seal under that top rock with foam so you don't get water running under and behind those rocks. The other thing about sealant is I am not sure if it is safe to use with fish or not. I will see if I can find a pic of my falls t show you how I did it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Found a few pics that might help you. The first one is before I redid the upper half but look at the tier second from the bottom the one above the one that goes into the pond. I have a few tall rocks that are under that rock, they are stacked in there and if I can rememer correctly the tier rock overhangs abut 8-10" I think. If you could find narrower rocks you would not need that big of an overhang but I compensated for that when I built it. The second pic just shows you the other tiers toward the top and I have just stacked small rock in there but you can't even see the liner. One note on the last tier going into the pond does not have any rocks under it and you can tell with the water flowing over it.

Attachments

• DSC01122.JPG
    DSC01122.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,204
  • DSC01480.JPG
    DSC01480.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,162

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your talking to the right person about water falls! I think he has the most extensive waterfalls of anyone on this forum.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are very nice falls!, that was my original thoughts, but honey, and I let him win off and on,.............lol wanted the meandering stream with some falls.

Do love his falls, he has a great slope for them too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful falls tmann and very nice rock and a lot of it. Looks like a pretty tall falls.........how high up is it?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
j.w said:
Beautiful falls tmann and very nice rock and a lot of it. Looks like a pretty tall falls.........how high up is it?

It's a bit decieving in that video, they are only on a hillside about 5 vertical feet above the pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
carleemann I will try to take a closeup pic of the rocks without the falls going in the next day or so..

Ask a Question