Rock adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a waterfall and stream. We also have local deer that walk through it and dislodge the rocks. Best adhesive to hold rocks to sides? If the deer walked on them once glued, would it tear the liner? Thanks for the help for this newbie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have a waterfall and stream. We also have local deer that walk through it and dislodge the rocks. Best adhesive to hold rocks to sides? If the deer walked on them once glued, would it tear the liner? Thanks for the help for this newbie
I wouldn't think deer would walk on something loose. That said, you could double up on the rocks and make it even more 'loose'. It would also give more cover over your liner. I'd not go to the effort of gluing any rocks but if you did, silicone will hold them (clean, dry surface both liner and rock) and won't hurt the liner but also might not withstand the sheer pressure of the deer, depending on how they walk on it.
I'd really just double up the rocks and build that angle up so there's more of a flat surface for the deer and the rocks probably won't slip then to the bottom.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't think deer would walk on something loose.
lol they walk on anything, at least ours do.

I double lined my stream to help protect it from their hooves. They walk it all winter snacking on the plants.

Maybe put some bigger rocks in with the smaller rocks along the sides. I have glued rocks in place using the pl roofing goop, make sure the liner is dry, cleaned, it holds well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have to say you have some work ahead of you any way you look at it .
While the caulking will stick to clean rock you will need more then a dab to hold rocks in place against deer.

1. Remove the rocks on the sides of the stream make the walls vertical or close to it and install some larger rocks that won't slide.

2. Pull back the stones and install a minimum or 8oz Non Woven needle punch . then place your stones again. This material will absorb water so do not let it get higher then your liner. This is a double edged sword while it absorbs the water it also will give moss a heck of a footing to grow . In time it will get covered and look very natural .

3. Rock on a roll . "

4. waterfall spray foam "Not for hd use."

5. A combination of silicone caulking lock your rocks together and then use the spray foam to help lock them from having somewhere to move.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not an advocate of using any type of adhesive to secure stones.

You would need an awful lot of "glue" to adhere all those pebbles. I think that would be a terrible mess. Plus, in order for any glue to adhere properly, the two surfaces need to be totally dry and hospital clean.

Stack large flat rocks on top of the areas you are trying to protect.

Unless you create a barrier to keep the deer out, they will continue to walk through there. You could put up fencing or vertical netting, which may not look so good.

Large flat rocks will protect your liner from their hoofs while giving them a stable footing to walk on. If their footing is stable, there's less of a chance their hoofs will slip and penetrate the liner.

Ask a Question