Rock gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did a Search for rock gardens and really didn't find anything. As you know my pond was just put in this year in our backyard. Our backyard is mostly a steep upward slope that does not drain water for some reason. It also affects our neighbors yards as well. There are drainage tile at the bottom of the slope but we still have it so bad that we cannot cut the grass on either side of the pond area. We've had a couple landscapers look at it without any solutions. I am considering removing the grass on the slope and replacing it with a rock garden with plants and such planted amongst the rock garden. If anybody has had any experience doing so please give me your thoughts. thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
we have a similar layout as yours and I would not suggest taking out the grass on the slope as it's keeping your soil from erosion. This year I threw down perennial and annual flower seeds. on the hill as the mowing is a bit dangerous due to the grade. When the deer don't find their way in, it looks really nice.

As for your drainage problems, there are a few options. Drain it away, put in a catch basin or try to plant some water loving trees like willows. Not seeing your property its hard to give you any further advice.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Chumley Can you post a few pics of the area. I think I vaguely remember what it looks like from earlier pics of your pond area, but can't find them right now.

Willow trees do suck up water like sponges. That is why you so often see them growing around streams, lakes, etc.

Chances are if the grass gets that wet, the rock gardens will get that wet as well unless you can construct them so they channel the water away from the area. Is there anywhere you can drain it too? Can you install French drains? Can you somehow contour the area so it runs off?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
reason I did mine was water runoff this is over 2 feet of rock and there is a tank under it that catch's the water from the catch's the water from the gutters .The rock is all from this property .The first dicth with rocks catch's or slows down the water and the second catch's it .I use a pump and hose to pump water out of the tank to water things in the yard when it gets to the dry season here and add fertilizer .The pipe is inside the wooden basket I built
101_0481.JPG
101_0482.JPG
101_0483.JPG
pics on durecell back up 207.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Without pics I really can't say much, but I'm thinking Rock garden plants like their soil on the dry side, I'd focus on plants that like it moist

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I went on a pond tour this year and one pond owner was telling me about a drainage problem he corrected by building a dry creek bed. On the slope he used large rocks, grasses and tall perennials. Is this what you were thinking of? This is the best picture I have. Wish I would have taken more.
1904 Main St (6).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
we have a similar layout as yours and I would not suggest taking out the grass on the slope as it's keeping your soil from erosion. This year I threw down perennial and annual flower seeds. on the hill as the mowing is a bit dangerous due to the grade. When the deer don't find their way in, it looks really nice.

As for your drainage problems, there are a few options. Drain it away, put in a catch basin or try to plant some water loving trees like willows. Not seeing your property its hard to give you any further advice.

As the first and second pic shows there is grass on the right and left of the pond. Water just sits on the slope, do you believe that? For weeks after rain, it just sits and if you walk on the grass it is like walking on a rubber mat. Tractor cuts deep ruts and only some areas can be cut with push mower. There are two stretches of drain tile that cross the back yard at the center and bottom of the slope and help with draining the water at the bottom of the hill. The pond contractor installed a sump pump and gravel under the liner to collect and dispose of water under the pond. That is piped directly to the storm sewer. The second to last pic is what I am considering doing on the left side. On the right side which is about 20 ft wide, I am thinking a retaining wall and a flat area on top with drain tile and lots of gravel. Last pic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 186
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went on a pond tour this year and one pond owner was telling me about a drainage problem he corrected by building a dry creek bed. On the slope he used large rocks, grasses and tall perennials. Is this what you were thinking of? This is the best picture I have. Wish I would have taken more.
View attachment 103120
Yes, very close. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Go to your local garden center and get some advice/literature on a "rain garden". There are tons of plants that would love to be there. Grass isn't one of them, but the others are more interesting. :)

Ask a Question