Rock ledge -- does it matter HOW you lay the rocks?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would never have given this a 2nd thought if I hadn't run across it in 2 or 3 separate articles/forums over the past few months...... And now it's bugging me!

This is regarding the rock ledge used to disguise liner leading to the top edge of the pond.

Does it matter if you lay larger rocks on top of smaller rocks....
image.jpg

....smaller rocks on top of larger rocks.....
image.jpg

.....or mix them up......

image.jpg

Mine tend to be mixed up, with smaller rocks used to fill in gaps. But I read that some say from a structural standpoint [?] that larger on top of smaller is better [1st example], and also that this give you more "micro" environments [pockets] for insects & stuff to live.....

For me, I want to go with what looks the best, but yes, structural integrity is important. Is this really structurally better?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used flagstone so I only had one way of doing it, but if I had used rock, I'd probably mix it up. Seems more natural if you have every size mixed in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We used the largest rocks we could manage on the edges - I like the less "busy" look and feel it looks more permanent. Plus we have six or eight spots around the edge where you can safely stand without dislodging anything in the process. The large rocks sit directly on the shallow shelf that runs around the top edge of the pond with no smaller rocks over OR under. Most of the rocks are at least 1/2 in the water and 1/2 out. Some of the bigger ones are even more submerged than that with only a small percentage of the rock actually out of the water.

We do have areas where we used smaller rocks, cobbles and gravel to make a natural looking edge outside of the pond - but that's just decorative, not structural.

I'm not sure that answered your question! Just wanted to throw out there that it doesn't have to be one or the other!

Reaction score
Wow, now it's me that is glad you asked this question!!!! I mixed mine a little but found more stability in the larger on bottom for a foundation. I knew I was on a good path when I could pull a rock out of the middle and the wall wouldn't fall. I felt my weight was distributed evenly then. I am securing my rock together as you know from my glue question, but I don't want to fill in all the gaps so there is still nooks and crannies for hiders! Oh sometimes I wonder what the heck did I get myself into and what the heck is going to go horribly wrong and how much money will it take to correct it!!!

Here are some pics of my walls:
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

Reaction score
Wow that is some nifty rock work there. I have to ask... why? The sides of my pond are covered in a nice layer of neatly trimmed algae so none of the liner is even visible. The amount of water capacity you are losing seems quite large. Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to talk anyone out of anything, or saying it's bad.... just wondering... From the looks of things you wont even be able to stand on the ledges or hardly be able to set plants on them anymore.

Reaction score
Wow that is some nifty rock work there. I have to ask... why? The sides of my pond are covered in a nice layer of neatly trimmed algae so none of the liner is even visible. The amount of water capacity you are losing seems quite large. Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to talk anyone out of anything, or saying it's bad.... just wondering... From the looks of things you wont even be able to stand on the ledges or hardly be able to set plants on them anymore.

Nifty and loving it!!! My shelf ledges are a good 8-12 inches deep with the rocks in place. In front of my skimmer there is a 2'x'2' lower shelf, plenty of room I think for plants. I bought Kewanee flat rocks, large and pancake thin for the shelves, no gravel! This pond is 14'x11x3' with a 14' stream/bog. I have been researching and studying for about 2 years now. I don't know everything but I have learned what I want and don't want by reading, interviewing and seeing in person. I am using white flagstone around the top edge so there is 100% viewing and approach. The water line stopped around where the rocks are and the rest will be landscaped accordingly. 2014 goal to get pond running. 2015 goal landscaping.

I choose smaller and as flat as I could get rock for the upper areas. After doing the pit I didn't want large boulders on top taking more water away. I have been around my friends ponds over the last 10+ years and they all have rocks, koi, fish, plants, cats, dogs, frogs, kids, and all is well and beautiful. I have read some borderline bulling anti-rock post out there and they can't convince me to not as I have way to much pleasure from my friends ponds for YEARS!!!! EVEN WITH HELPING CLEAN THEM, I'm not afraid of work. I know you aren't bulling but I am ready for the fanatics out there. We all have our very own pond likes and dislikes. I'm not going for record sized koi, just a few fishies to spoil.

After all I live in the land of the free and that includes my choice to rock :)

p.s. don't tell my hubby but I already have phase 2 planed! A stream with a passing tunnel into the 2nd addition that will only be 4x4x2. I think I'm hooked on ponding!

Reaction score
I am also and avid gardener, you name I own it if it lives in Michigan! What you don't see is the large garden next to the stream. Boy to I have plans to garden scape around the pond!!! I have also researched how to plant around the edges to make it look flowing and natural. I don't like crowded or busy looking, no yard art either, Sterile and Stark are not me either!!!! Keep in mind that I am not done! It will look worse before it gets better. Been there?

Ask a Question