Rock on a Roll

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Someone mentioned hiding my liner better in an earlier post, and that made me remember looking this up a few years back.

What do you guys think of Rock on a Roll, in general?

I would have to partially drain my pond (about 50%), tuck it in under my border rocks and let it hang down along the liner, then fill it back up and rely on the weight of the water to push it in place against the sides.

I've never seen it in person, just pics on their website. But it's a fairly expensive purchase to get in and then realize that it looks cheap or cheesy, so I'm hoping for some feedback on it before buying.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used it to cover the sides of my raised pond. Looks better that the bare wood. I also used it to cover the edges of the pond. I found I needed to glue it to the liner to keep it from floating up from fish getting under it. Tough to cut but will last forever!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 225
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never used it, but I've seen it in ponds and over time it really blends in well. However, like @mrsclem said you'd probably need to hold it in place somehow. The water would make it float I would think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used it on mine...... if you are going anywhere near vertical you will have to glue it. It’s not a perfect solution, but as Lisak1 said it looks better with time, when stuff starts growing on it
5A83CD3C-3ABE-4189-9931-17CE51C1A1C8.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is old enough it is covered with algae, plants have grown into it, you can't tell it is not natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My sides are near vertical, so I guess I'd have to glue it to the liner... not exactly ideal, though, I guess I'd have to leave my pond 50% drained while the glue dries. Which means I'll have to do it in late fall, after the plants are dormant.

From your pics, though, it does look like it would be a lot more natural looking than how you can see the black liner in mine now! And it's cheaper than buying a pallet of rocks and digging out part of the pond to create a real rock ledge... not a LOT cheaper, though, and it'll be a lot easier...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got it just to make it easier on myself as I place rocks and pavers around and in the pond. I do hope to cover most of it with rocks but not having to overlap them will save $ and time. I'm still working on it and the rock on a roll is also protecting the liner while I work on rock placement . It definitely does float but I'll weight it down when I get more stone in there. Overall, sure, I would have saved a bunch of $ if I skipped that step but I've been working on the pond for months (it's just me and I don't have much time to work) and the liner protection has given me peace of mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sides are near vertical, so I guess I'd have to glue it to the liner... not exactly ideal, though, I guess I'd have to leave my pond 50% drained while the glue dries. Which means I'll have to do it in late fall, after the plants are dormant.

From your pics, though, it does look like it would be a lot more natural looking than how you can see the black liner in mine now! And it's cheaper than buying a pallet of rocks and digging out part of the pond to create a real rock ledge... not a LOT cheaper, though, and it'll be a lot easier...
Just a note.....if you are trying to hang it on the vertical...... use plenty of glue ( I used clear silicone) and have plenty to help that has “Patience”. Because it will slide right off if you don’t hold it in place for awhile

Ask a Question