Rock on Bottom or not??

Reaction score
salmon alley said:
I got a consult with a well know pond installation company and they convinced me to put river rock on the bottom.
Did they tell you why? I honestly don't get it. But people keep recommending gravel bottoms, and I wonder.

It looks great...for about one month...AFTER you've drained and cleaned it from the previous year.
I'm currently in the process of removing the rock from the bottom.
I did the same thing. I have one small patch of gravel left, and it's going this year. I have other rocks ranging from rather large bounders down to fist sized, and I don't mind those. They do collect debris, but it's not the whole pond, and the vac isn't always choking on them.

Reaction score
Otter said:
Did they tell you why? I honestly don't get it. But people keep recommending gravel bottoms, and I wonder.

Yes, it was the whole "increased surface area for bacterial growth"...which I absoutely believe..but they conveniently leave out the fact that the pond will need to be drained and the river rock power washed every year..for a nominal fee of course :twocents:

Personally, I really liked the look of the river rock bottom, but after multiple internet searches, it seems everyone recommends bare bottom.

I don't have a drain, and I'm not planning on putting one in, but I figure it should be much easier to keep clean without the rock, and as DrDave posted I'm hoping that with a little age and algae growth, one won't be ablet to tell a difference between the bare liner and rock.

Reaction score
Our large pond bottom slopes from 38" to 50" over 17'. Not that dynamic a slope, but there's some gravity factor there. I'd have to say I'd want to check out (with evidence) any claims of 6 ft of pull around a bottom drain.

Another factor not talked about much here except by reference is cost. IF you have a pump that can pull enough to such in stuff from 6 ft. out you might have to have a second job to pay for it!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With that kind of suction, any fish near it would be drawn against the grill. The result of getting trapped against can be death or swim bladder problems if it gets away.

Another reason for not having skimmers and bottom drains unless you screen a safe barrier areound them.

Reaction score
Well the weather was warmer than predicted here, so I took advantage of it and spent Sat and Sun scooping ALL the river rock out of my pond.....I'm one tired and sore pup...

Reaction score
I will be using some river rock too..for my fall/stream. But after all your input as well as some researching, I will keep my bottom bare. :banana:..who cares if the neighbors see me :banana: ...wait what bottom are we talking about???

Ask a Question