Rock Pricing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I may have put the cart before the horse. I expected to spend about $800 for 3 tons of 12-18” rock. But locally I have only been able to find starting at $500-$700 per ton. I’m in California so that’s probably why but this is my first pond attempt 8’x12’x18” deep. I think I’d need only 2-3 tons but I wanted to order 4. Any other ideas I stone of boulders, like red brick?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What no rocks on California beaches or rivers? Try a concrete place as they sometimes sell rocks for cheaper by the truckload. They do here in Washington or they did many years ago when I got mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're going to be more expensive no matter what since you're in California. That said, try skipping the landscape yards/rock outlets and just figure out which local quarries those places are getting their material from. It'll be just one type of rock, but it'll be cheap because it's local. Bonus points, it'll look like it belongs in your backyard instead of some exotic boulder from Montana.

Around here, it's basalt. I can get it across town from a yard the quarry owns for less than $80 ton. Any size from 8" up to 6' across. I can also get the exact same rocks at 5 other places close by for anywhere from $125 to $200 ton.

Get the phone # to the scale or onsite office at the local quarry. Call 'em up and ask if they're open to the public. If not, ask if they know any drivers who do residential deliveries from their quarry. Get those phone #s. Call those folks up and order from one of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're going to be more expensive no matter what since you're in California. That said, try skipping the landscape yards/rock outlets and just figure out which local quarries those places are getting their material from. It'll be just one type of rock, but it'll be cheap because it's local. Bonus points, it'll look like it belongs in your backyard instead of some exotic boulder from Montana.

Around here, it's basalt. I can get it across town from a yard the quarry owns for less than $80 ton. Any size from 8" up to 6' across. I can also get the exact same rocks at 5 other places close by for anywhere from $125 to $200 ton.

Get the phone # to the scale or onsite office at the local quarry. Call 'em up and ask if they're open to the public. If not, ask if they know any drivers who do residential deliveries from their quarry. Get those phone #s. Call those folks up and order from one of them.
Thanks that’s a great idea. I wonder how anyone short of a doctor is buying rock around here….

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry but as long as we keep voting one letter over another and not who is best fitted for the job NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST we will be paying dearly for some time. Unfortunately for you and truck owners out there. they knoww there is a ticking time bomb on each and every truck that they own. The powers to be who have never driven a loaded pickup yet alone a loaded dump truck have told everyone that by 2030 all combustion motors even for trucks will be not allowed on California roads. So the trucks that had a 30 to 40 year life span now only has till 2030. no one can even buy a electric truck as there are none. Ever see a fire from and electric bus?
try this with a truck that hauls 5 times as much weight. thus you have ridiculous trucking costs out there.

Drive around your area and find local site developments, Site contractors almost always dig up more rock than they could ever need. At least that's the way it is around here. Talk to the guys on site OFTEN IT IS THERE JOB TO CLEAR THE SITE OF UNWANTED ROCK and gravel. they have to pay to haul it away and they usually have to pay to dump it somewhere as well . if an area is lacking in rock then they may get paid for the rock either way making them and offer is going to be cheaper than paying a the middle man. if your the closest and they will sell to you do to trucking costs.

Gravel companies will often sell boulders that are to weak to crush up and turn to gravel so that they may offer at a discount.

Last edited:

Ask a Question