Rock sizes/amounts for border

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I am about ready to order my rock for my pond build (starting in a week). My plan is to go barebottom and only have rock on the edges and first shelf. I plan to use granite boulders and the size ranges I can get are 4-8" and 12-24" in size (I could go bigger but I'm not sure we could move those rocks!!). My target pond size is ~9 feet by 20 feet, and a calculator I found online suggested about 4.5 tons of rock. Right now I'm thinking 2 tons of each size set, but I obviously don't want to run out of rock! Should I tack on another ton? What size would you suggest? Any other tips on edging the pond with rock? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, I've never had to try to figure out how much rock by weight. Going to watch this thread to see if others have. Good luck! I just bought rock, used it up, bought more rock, used it up .... until it was done. But, then, I didn't have to get it all done at the same time, so I was happy to do it that way. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is my thought as well. Just wondering if it would be easier to place extra 12-24" rocks or 4-8" rocks. I'm thinking the bigger since that can be used to hold up a rock garden or berm.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not sure what calculator you used but it was likely for determining that amount of rock for an eco-system pond where the walls of the pond are rocked. Apparently you used the Aquascape calculator, which is pretty accurate. This calculator is configured for a 24" deep pond.
Since you are going to rock only down to the first shelf you should certainly have enough rock at 4.5 tons. If you are doing a waterfall, that will haave to be determined separately. Too bad you can't get 8" - 12" rock. It would look so much better if you could use the standard rock size ratio....25% - 50% - 25%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I found another place that sells the sizes as we like....6-12/12-18/18-24. Ended up getting 1 ton of 6-12, 2 tons of 12-18, and 2 tons of 18-24. We'll see how that goes!

Ask a Question